FIXED GE 1957 Fridge Relay Wiring?

gwcoty

Premium Member
Model Number
LM11P
Picked this beauty up a few days ago. Id like to get it running again. When i first plugged it in, the current draw shot up to 8 amps then something down by the compressor clicked and it shut off, wait a few minutes and would happen again. Im thinking it has a overload or thermal cutout somewhere, when it shut off i could hear the motor in the compressor spin down so i know it wasnt seized. First thing i checked was the start relay, the contacts look great, the coil has continuity, looks like it should work fine. I carefully plugged it in again to observe if the relay moves at all, nothing. I soon discovered that if i plugged it in, then held the contacts open, (like the relay was energized) the compressor would run and the fridge would cool fine. I cant figure out how this ever worked? it would make sense to me the relay should have normally open contacts and the coil would be in series with the run winding. The high current draw from the unmoving motor would trigger the relay and close the contacts momentarily until the current draw was reduced (motor running). this is set up for something to energize the coil and keep the start winding contacts open while the compressor runs? I dont know....
Today i got a supco ro41 start relay with the intention of wiring it in place of the other relay. I popped the cover off the compressor expecting to ohm out the three wires and figure out the start, run, common, but was greeted with seven connections on here! Most of the connection points have continuity to each other making it impossible to just ohm it out to identify the windings.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Is this the correct relay with normally closed points? Im lost and really need some help.

Attachments

• image5.png
    image5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • image6.png
    image6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • image7.png
    image7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • image2 (1).png
    image2 (1).png
    588.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image0 (4).png
    image0 (4).png
    600 KB · Views: 32
  • image1 (2).png
    image1 (2).png
    619.2 KB · Views: 32

gwcoty

Premium Member
For posterity, I figured out this is a special four wire compressor. The three other wires are for a protection device. Attached below is a diagram of how it wired, the upper one is original, the lower schematic shows how to wire a supco ro41 start relay. Fridge works good now.

Attachments

• D30CB715-15AA-426C-9FC1-C3168A399643.png
    D30CB715-15AA-426C-9FC1-C3168A399643.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 52