• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Advantium Microwave SCB2001KSS02 Upper Glass Cover Broke

RKCRLR

Premium Member
Model Number
SCB2001KSS02
Brand
GE
My upper glass cover for the halogen bulb broke. It appears that a piece of the honeycomb mesh above the glass broke and a small drop of molten metal dropped on the glass causing it to crack.

The mesh appears to be not a separate piece but part of the whole inside top of the oven.

The glass is available but is $120 for what appears to be a normal piece of plate glass (not tempered).

Can I just have a glass shop cut a new piece of glass?

Is the glass even necessary?

Is there a way to repair the honeycomb mesh? Can I just trim off the broken pieces that are sticking out so they don't melt? Does the mesh serve a function?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The microwaves are reflected and bounce around inside the cavity. Wherever there's an edge the microwaves can reflect/bounce into each other, you'll get some sparking and uneven heating. A tech wouldn't try to repair it or modify anything for safety reasons. I'm not sure what the function of the mesh is, but if it wasn't necessary it probably wouldn't be designed that way. Maybe it's designed to keep the halogen heat from breaking the glass.

The mesh appears to be not a separate piece but part of the whole inside top of the oven.
That's correct.
for what appears to be a normal piece of plate glass
I wouldn't think normal glass because of the high heat environment. It doesn't look like normal glass and the price would suggest it's tempered.
ge-top-glass-wb36x10129-ap2030106_01_l.jpg

RKCRLR

Premium Member
The reason I think the glass isn't tempered is because it broke with a single crack through the middle. My experience with tempered glass is it shatters into small pieces when it breaks.

rickgburton

Staff member
My experience with tempered glass is it shatters into small pieces when it breaks.
Mine too. Maybe it is just regular glass and the tinting and shape make it expensive.

RKCRLR

Premium Member
I did some research. I'm pretty sure the glass is ceramic (heat resistant) like that used in wood stove glass doors. The slight amber tint is inherent in the process of making ceramic glass. A local glass shop has it at a reasonable price but it is too thick (3/16" vs ~1/8" thick for the OEM glass). I'm looking at online options.

My bigger concern is preventing it from breaking again due to pieces of the honeycomb mesh falling on it.

Also, I need to get a set of Torx security bits for the screws (why couldn't they just use regular Torx screws?).

rickgburton

Staff member
Cool, good to know. I figured it had to have some kind of high heat properties.
why couldn't they just use regular Torx screws?
Because a microwave is capable of generating 2000V. It can deliver a good zap even after it's unplugged. It's a deterrent for the average DIY. The mesh is a different story. You should run it before you buy the glass. Fix it the best you can first. Don't run it empty. If it starts looking like a sparkler in there when you run it, that's it, game over.