GE air conditioner unit model# AJCQ12DCDW1 capacitor testing

jokken

Premium Member
Model Number
AJCQ12DCDW1
Brand
GE
hi guys,

I have a GE thru the wall room ac unit, model# AJCQ12DCDW1 that I hope just has a bad capacitor. I'm trying to follow guides online to test the capacitor but I'm getting confused.
The unit blows air fine but it is not cold air and I don't hear the compressor kicking on.

The capacitor is 2 terminal and says 370v 50/60Hz 30uF
I get no continuity between the terminals and the case, nor between both terminals.
The capacitor will increase in M ohms up to 32.5 and then show 0L. (is this a discharge?). It will do this no matter which way I put the leads on the terminals. But then when I put the leads on the terminals again it shows some random - or + number. 2.xxx or 3.xxxx or 6.xxx. I can get it to go back up to climbing to 32.5 M ohms if I cross the terminals with a screw driver.

If this capacitor is good, any other common issues with this type/model unit?

thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jokken

Premium Member
thanks Jeff. I believe this capacitor is good. what else would be a possible culprit in this type of AC? i did note a hint of possibly burnt electronics when I opened the inner cover. thanks!

jeff1

Staff member
The unit blows air fine but it is not cold air and I don't hear the compressor kicking on.
what else would be a possible culprit in this type of AC?
No power from the control to the compressor. Open safety for the compressor. Open winding inside the compressor.

jeff.

jokken

Premium Member
i took the control board out and noticed a spot that i'm thinking is bad. here are some pictures. opinions?
that dark spot is below the voltage regulator and its heat sink (KIA 7812A PI 133).
if this voltage regulator is bad could it stop the compressor from running even though the fan runs fine?

thx!

jeff1

Staff member
That does not look healthy!
That large relay right beside that is the compressor relay.
It would be good to try that for sure.

Control board unit

jeff.

jokken

Premium Member
hello again! i got a new control board unit and it isn't working right still. now the compressor does turn on but only after quite awhile of the fan running. it seems faint, and only a small part of the condenser coil gets cold. the air being blown out is not noticeably cold though.

any more advice?

thanks!

jeff1

Staff member
What was the original symptoms?
What is NEW after the board replacement?

now the compressor does turn on but only after quite awhile of the fan running
How long?
Often when first turned on or powered up the fan only will run and after a few minutes the compressor will turn on ( as long as the temp setting is ok for the room temp ).

and only a small part of the condenser coil gets cold
Condenser is the hot tubing. Evaporator is the cold tubing.
The evaporator should sweat.

jeff.