• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Cafe 2013 Ice Buildup

smapdi27

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE23TSDCSS
Brand
GE
Every 6 months since buying this GE Cafe fridge, the fan in the fridge makes noise, due to ice buildup in the panel behind the produce drawers creeping up and hitting the fan. My solution has been to remove the drawers, panel, etc and defrost the ice with a hairdryer, but inevitably the ice comes back. Any ideas on a root cause and permanent fix?
Here are pictures of where the ice builds up:
IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Does the ice build up just on top of the evaporator? Are you having any cooling issues in either compartment? Have you checked for any error codes?

smapdi27

Premium Member
1) The ice builds up from behind the vents to the produce and meat/cheese drawers up and over to the fan (see picture)
IMG_3164 (1).jpg
2) The only cooling issue I've noticed is that things in the meat/cheese drawer will freeze if this is happening
3) I have the following error codes: (code/count/days ago)
506/2/51
2/1/6
112/117/4
11/17/0
12/18/0
10/1/6
109/8/16
714/1/150
7/1/6
106/8/4

rickgburton

Staff member
Sorry, I didn't forget about you. I'm swamped with service calls and I haven't finished checking all of those error codes yet. Be patient, I'll be back .

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Frost or ice build up on top of the evaporator usually indicates an airflow issue. It can be caused by a faulty fan motor or even an air leak. The evaporator is much colder than the compartment temperature. If the fan is not moving air across the coils when the refrigerant is entering the evaporator the warmer air condenses on the coils then freezes. Even if the fan is working, if there is an air leak where the compartment air can get to the evaporator, it will condense and freeze. This only happens when refrigerant is flowing through the evaporator coils.

The GE Cafe' is a complicated machine the way it was designed. Without the built in service diagnostics and error codes it would be difficult to accurately diagnose a problem. The trick is knowing how to interpret the error codes. The error codes are grouped by the number in the error code. For example F01-F99 is thermistors, F100-F199 is fans, F200-F299 is the defrost system etc.,etc,

I went through the error codes you listed. We can eliminate F506 and F714. Only one instance was logged for each 3 to 5 months ago. F02, F07 and F10 are invalid thermistors. Only one instance 6 days ago. If you forgot to unplug the machine when using the hairdryer or if the thermistors were warm after using the hairdryer the control would think the thermistors were out of range and log those error codes. I have an error code chart for a similar model and it doesn't show F11 or F12 and so far I haven't been able to find the chart for your model. There was 17 and 18 instances logged for F11 and F12 the same day you checked the error codes.

F106, F109, and F112 (fan errors) errors were logged the most times (besides F11 & F12) with the F112 logging the most instances (117 times). F112 error is the Deli-pan fan feedback is missing when the fan is running. After the first minute when the fan starts there's no rpm feedback detected. Now you need to go into service test mode and run tests 0047 and 0051 This turns on the fan at 75% duty cycle and displays the RPM's.

Look under the top right hinge cover for the tech sheet and see if it lists F11 or F12. I'll keep looking also.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bigbuck may have the tech data sheet and exact error code chart for this model Rick.:)

I can PM him to see.:)

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't have the Tech.Sheet but have some other stuff the may help or not. That 31-9227 manual is very similar.

Attachments

Last edited:

smapdi27

Premium Member
I ran the tests rickgburton suggested:
test 47 : ~3200 RPM
test 51 : ~4500 RPM
Thanks for all your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, it sounds like the fan motor is working properly and it can read the rpm's in test mode just not the cooling mode. How about the tech sheet under the hinge cover and F11 & F12?