GE Cafe CGS990SET5SS Oven igniter glowbar problem

Fuelpowered

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS990SET5SS
Brand
GE
A big THANKS for all the advice that's been given to me thus far from those generous enough to share their knowledge and time.

We currently own a GE Café series 990 that is a great unit but has been giving me fits as of late:mad: I think about 2 months ago the bottom oven just cut out while my wife was making dinner in it. Displayed like 116 degrees or something weird like that when it was operating at 350 prior to its failure.

I researched what could be the cause and decided I would switch igniters from the upper oven to the lower and see what would happen. It worked fine for about a month or so, then did the same thing. I happened to receive another igniter for a Christmas gift:encouragement: so I replaced the one on the bottom that had failed with a new out of the box one today # WB13X25263.

It lasted for however long it takes the oven to reach 139 deg then cut out. As I pulled the bottom panel out to assess the damage, I notice some heat shielding stuff on the underside that sits on top of the "glowbar" was damaged (the hole that the "glowbar" sits under was deformed/enlarged from crazy high heat).

Also the "glowbar" itself had a piece cracked off of it. I think it may be time for GE service to take a look at this one. No warranty coverage in effect.

If anyone can help please do.
Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chuck,

You're missing a digit between the "T" and the "S".

Here's the results I get below:

CGS990SET1SS
CGS990SET2SS
CGS990SET3SS
CGS990SET4SS
CGS990SET5SS

Here's the parts diagram:

00108839.p05_2325.jpg

Are you referring to the flame spreader #219 or #224.

Take a photo of what yours looks like, so we can get a better idea of this problem.

Jake

Fuelpowered

Premium Member
Thanks Jake the digit is a 5. The piece that was damaged is 224. I took a cut off wheel to it to smooth it out it was so bad. I'll put up a picture later when I get home.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

icemanxml

Premium Member
Chuck,

I joined this forum because of your post. The timing was uncanny. I had exactly the same oven, same problem -- lower oven stopped heating. I bought a new igniter, replaced it, and tested the glow. After I put back the bake deflector, it stopped heating again. It wasn't until I took everything apart again, that I found the melted hole in the deflector that was breaking the igniters. I'm attaching the picture. I'm going to replace the igniter and deflector to get the oven working again, but I think this is a design flaw (like the igniter or burner sits too close to the deflector). I found another person with the same problem reporting this as a safety issue last year (Saferproducts.gov | Incident Report Details )

Steve

08E7139F-EDB9-43C5-A203-99D4DEFABCDB.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, that is ironic Steve, lets see how many others come here to report the same as you both.

Thanks for posting the photo of each of your deflectors(flame spreaders), Chuck and Steve!

Jake

Fuelpowered

Premium Member
Hey Steve
I reached out to GE for some help on this. I waited on hold for a total of 2 hours (imagine accomplishing that with a tethered landline) before I was actually able to speak to someone other than a "repair scheduler" (who was awesome by the way) in customer service. I explained to the woman that this unit was purchased to compliment our extensive kitchen remodel in 2014.

We tried are darndest to avoid purchasing Chinese made appliances/hardware/plumbing, etc. I'd say we were pretty successful in doing so (no easy task), but I remember finding a range was a real B. We settled on this one (at least its North American) due to its receiving stellar reviews and just being a well thought out unit with some coolness to it.

It was definitely more than what we intended to spend (by a lot), but we decided to get it in the end. I was asked "What's it doing?, to which I then recited everything in my original post. I also added that while I consider myself fairly well armed with good tools and knowledge of mechanical things that this thing was above my pay grade. It ain't going to be fixed by changing out parts.

There's something wrong with the "brains" of this thing that a surgeon will have to diagnose, not an EMT. They are sending a repair tech out on the 10th to see what is up with it. I will have to put up the $$$ for the service call, but the CS rep said that GE would stand behind their product and work with us to make it right.

I think she understood my story and how much it sucks not to have a working oven in the house when your wife is an amateur chef. I will post back after the visit. Maybe there's hope...

icemanxml

Premium Member
Hi Chuck,

Any news from the GE service guy? I had to wait a week for my new deflector order to come in. I'm putting everything back together tomorrow. The replacement igniter that I have has a different metal bracket, but I'm thinking it's better to protect the element. My parts guy told me to use the old bracket, but I'm wondering if the new bracket will keep the element from breaking in the future.

File_000.jpg

Frank Trombino

Premium Member
I had no intentions of hijacking this thread, but have recently found this forumn. I as well have the exact same ongoing problem with burning holes through the heat deflectors which drip melting metal on my glow ignitor. I have gone through 2 shields and now I'm on my 4th ignitor....This is the 1st one that I have had to purchase along with a new shield. I'm very hesitant to operate the oven until I read the conclusion of this post. I have received no support from GE with this matter to date. Our unit is just 2yrs.old.

Last edited:

Frank Trombino

Premium Member
I had no in tensions of hijacking this thread but have recently found this thread because I to have the exact same ongoing problem with burning holes through the heat deflectors which drip melting metal on my glow ignitor. I have gone through 2 shields and now I'm on my 4th ignitor....This is the 1st one that I have had to purchase along with a new shield. I'm very hesitant to operate the oven until I read the conclusion of this post. I have received no support from GE with this matter to date. Our unit is just 2yrs.old.

icemanxml

Premium Member
Frank, looks like you're joining us with the same problem. But, you're using the oven more than us since you've already gone through multiple shields and igniters. I've had my oven for around 3 years. I've only replaced one deflector and the igniter (2 because I accidentally broke one). There's just not enough clearance between the igniter and deflector. It's a design flaw that GE most likely won't admit to. I'm hoping the Safe Products government site leads to something, but I don't think it will help.

If you did this work yourself, you probably also noticed that the sheet metal screws wear out from the heat as well and have to be replaced. I broke a few trying to take some out.

Frank Trombino

Premium Member
Frank, looks like you're joining us with the same problem. But, you're using the oven more than us since you've already gone through multiple shields and igniters. I've had my oven for around 3 years. I've only replaced one deflector and the igniter (2 because I accidentally broke one). There's just not enough clearance between the igniter and deflector. It's a design flaw that GE most likely won't admit to. I'm hoping the Safe Products government site leads to something, but I don't think it will help.

If you did this work yourself, you probably also noticed that the sheet metal screws wear out from the heat as well and have to be replaced. I broke a few trying to take some out.
Thanks for the response, I spent some time on the phone this morning with GE customer service /relations .They could not tell me if there is a engineering design flaw on our oven/stove but did say they would dicount new parts to replace. I explained my hesitation to have a service technician install them due to the added cost on something I could clearly repair myself.

I'm wondering if there is an underline condition that is not cycling the ignitor in a fashion that is not allowing it to shut off. Or is it so that it must remain on constantly in order to keep valve open to allow gas to flow through.
If there is someone on the forum that could answer this question that would be helpfull, so in my infinite wisdom as a tradesman can you achieve more protection on the sheild/deflector by adding an additional piece of heavier guage metal to keep the shield from melting and dripping on the ignitor.??

They still manufacturer the same series dbl oven,how has GE got around not recalling this design. I suppose it's cheaper for them to supply us with discounted parts than replacing or returning our investment for the purchase of another brand....

CSanborn

Premium Member
GE flame detector incorrectly installed resulting in 2 oven igniter replacements

Below is the email I sent to Mr. Immelt, the CEO of GE. I also sent him a PowerPoint detailing the problem with photos of our burned flame detector and the incorrect directions for replacement. I don't know how to attach the PowerPoint that would show how the GE technician installed the flame detector correctly. He flipped the deflector so the cut-out would be placed correctly over the ignitor. He did not use the predrilled holes to place the side bake deflectors (small triangular pieces). I have been away but did receive a call from GE regarding my email to Mr. Immelt. I will call tomorrow to find out his response.

Dear Mr. Immelt-
I am sending you this email to say thank you to your professional GE case managers and technician who have provided service for our range the past 3 years. However, I have concerns for an incorrect installation of the flame deflector in our range and the incorrect directions mailed with the replacement of the flame deflector. We purchased our Self-Cleaning Gas Range Model #CGS990SET5SS in November 2014. During the first year the range was under warranty, I called the GE phone number regarding the center burner head not igniting. The employer (Candance) guided me how to check the problem. After doing all her steps, the center burner would not light so she sent a new burner head in 2-3 days. She was very professional and solved our problem with no charge.
This past January, our lower oven was not heating again. We had a similar problem in 2016 and had the ignitor replaced by a local technician from McNeill’s Appliance, Denton, TX. This time our local technician observed that the deflector seemed to be installed incorrectly which was causing the ignitor to burn out. He suggested that I call GE to see if there was a recall. I did and was told no there was not a recall or issues with this range so I arranged to have a GE technician fix the range. The GE case worker, Susan, that was assigned to our repair (incident 170213-005366) was excellent, as well as, the GE technician that replaced the deflector. However, I had concerns regarding the original incorrect placement of the deflector along with the incorrect directions mailed with the replacement of the flame deflector. I sent an email along with the PowerPoint to Susan indicating my concerns and had asked that GE reimburse us for the cost of replacing the two ignitors and the defector. I received a very quick response to my email stating that because we weren’t under warranty that the charges for the deflector were valid and that I was not charged for labor and trip charge.

I wanted to alert you because I worry that other GE owners of this range may have a similar installation problem. I am also concerned about the incorrect directions that accompany a flame deflector replacement might continue to cause a problem unless technicians know how to probably install the two bake deflectors so that the cut-out is over the ignitor.

I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
Charlotte Sanborn

Last edited:

CSanborn

Premium Member
GE called me in response to the incorrect installation of the deflector and also the incorrect directions for the replacement. I was told that they have made three changes: 1) correct replacement flame deflector part, 2) changed instructions for the replacement part, and 3) issued a service bulletin for GE technicians. I was told that it is not a safety issue so a recall is not warranted. I was reimbursed my GE cost of the last repair.
Charlotte

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you have the service bulletin number?

Jake

rpatrizio

Add me to the list. My oven did the same exact thing. Burned a hole right through the heat shield.
Model #CGS990SET3SS Ge Cafe

ennoble

Premium Member
Add me to the list. My oven did the same exact thing. Burned a hole right through the heat shield.
Model #CGS990SET3SS Ge Cafe
I'm in the same boat as well... Has anyone seen the service bulletin or can someone post a picture of what the proper arrangement of the deflector and heat shield is?