GE Cafe CGS990SET5SS Oven igniter glowbar problem

KeithS

Exact same problem, melted heat deflector and broken glowbar. You would expect more for a $2500 appliance that is only 3 years old. Tomorrow I make the call to GE's customer relations department. Wish me luck....

ennoble

Premium Member
I got the new parts for my oven. The deflector now has a cutout in over the ignitor, so clearly the original design had a flaw.

kensington

Premium Member
I had the exact same issue, with the same deflector hole burned through the deflector. Model CGS990SET1SS. I've replaced the lower oven glow bar and installed the new deflector shield with the cutout over the igniter.
But at the same time, the upper oven has stopped working - although the broiler continues to work. I would have thought that the glow bar was necessary for the broiler to work as well? If not, I guess it's just coincidence that the upper oven glow bar decided to go out at the same time. Any suggestions - do I just need to replace the upper over glow bar too?
Thanks for any guidance.
p.s. For anyone else going through this, know that you'll need to order new screws to attach the deflector to the deflector shield. All my screws were toast.

kensington

Premium Member
Well, now the upper oven is working. Go figure.

I'll add that this is the second time that the lower oven igniter was replaced. The first time was by the appliance repair from whom I purchased the unit. He replaced the igniter but not the deflector shield, so I don't know if there was a "hole" burned into the deflector shield at that time.

kfelizzi

I have found this same problem. Did GE do anything to solve the problem? Is it a design flaw? I don't just want to replace parts and have it happen again.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is the Service Bulletin. RA04-16 No Heat In Lower Oven During Bake
If the lower oven is not heating in a bake setting, remove the oven floor and check the oven deflector. A deflector that has deformed could cause the bake ignitor to fail.

Replace the ignitor and install a new oven deflector WB49X27927

Attachments

Last edited:

NewbGuy

Guys, I am having the exact same problem with my CGS990SET4SS. The glowbar made contact with the deflect and melted it. In the process the Oven breaker flipped. Crazy experience.

I have ordered a new deflector and glowbar, but I could really use some direction on how to disconnect the wires to the glowbar. It appears the wires go through a hole in the back of the oven, but where is the connector clip located? - Do I need to pull out the oven? or is it behind the convection fan? As this is a double over, I do not have a drawer under the over (all the youtube videos are single oven and the wire clip is behind the drawer)

Thank you for the assistance!

Dagrant

Same here. I have the same double oven, and the same problem. just got the new deflector and glow bar. The new deflector Has the cutout where the glow bar sits so hopefully that solves the problem. Now how to replace the glow bar? Any info as to what has to be removed to gain access to the connector would be appreciated. Again I have the double oven so no bottom drawer, the wires pass through a hole in the back of the oven. They do not have slack to pull out. Doesn't look like the fan cover gets to it either. I'll pull the oven out tomorrow and see if there is some access from the back. Thanx in advance for any info.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can't locate the service manual for this model, so you'll likely need to pull the whole double oven out from the wall, then disconnect power to your oven, then remove the back access panel then you can unsnap the connector. Then put the new glow bar ignitor electrical connector in the same place.

Get someone to help you pull it out from the wall, these double ovens are heavy.

Jake

jdbodker

For those who have replaced the deflector shield, and have gotten the new one with a cutout, what happened to the small deflector that is attached to the main deflector? Does that also have a cutout? Or was it recommended to not reinstall that piece? Seems to be a much thinner piece of metal and that it would melt much easier, so it would need a cutout as well, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

micnden

Premium Member
Hello! I have the same appliance, but did not have a problem until late last summer when it was just under 5 years old! My husband and I decided to replace the igniter ourselves. When we took the deflector off, there was a little discoloration on the bottom, but not distorted or burned through like some of the pictures on this thread. Anyway, today, 2-3 months after replacement and working fine - the igniter died again! I appreciate the technicians on this site being so thorough and providing great feedback. I had no idea this might be a widespread problem. I plan to order yet another igniter with the new shield. Does anyone know if the new deflector really cures this? I went high end on my new appliances in 2012 thinking they would be above these "issues". So disappointed that GE didn't/wouldn't own up to this! As another stated, I wanted US made...ugh.

savyas

Premium Member
I joined just to say thank you for leading me in the right direction, and to agree that the replacement heat deflector that bigbuck posted in post #26 of this thread does appear to solve the underlying issue where the deflector melts through and comes into contact with the ignitor. I've attached a semi-profile pic of my deflector that tries to show the extent of the disfigurement.20171126_123706.jpg

micnden

Premium Member
Hi! I have a question on this subject. My model # is CGS990SET2SS and it is mentioned as "covered" in the Service Bulletin you attached. However, on the website for the part #WB49X27927, when I put the model number in to check compatibility - it tells me it isn't compatible! Can you help? Looks like there are a couple of new deflectors with cutouts, but nothing shows compatibility. Is this so or a mistake or something else? I really need help! Thanks!

micnden

Premium Member
Here is the Service Bulletin. RA04-16 No Heat In Lower Oven During Bake
If the lower oven is not heating in a bake setting, remove the oven floor and check the oven deflector. A deflector that has deformed could cause the bake ignitor to fail.

Replace the ignitor and install a new oven deflector WB49X27927
Hi! I have a question on this subject. My model # is CGS990SET2SS and it is mentioned as "covered" in the Service Bulletin you attached. However, on the website for the part #WB49X27927, when I put the model number in to check compatibility - it tells me it isn't compatible! Can you help? Looks like there are a couple of new deflectors with cutouts, but nothing shows compatibility. Is this so or a mistake or something else? I really need help! Thanks!

savyas

Premium Member
I had the same concern, to the point that I noticed that there were some extra holes in the sides of the pictured item on appliance pro's website for where the bake deflectors attach. Also, the PDF that bigbuck attached lists the models as well as the serial numbers of SV– TG (Sept. 2011 – Oct. 2016). My serial number for my CGS990SET4SS begins with SD, which does not fall into the range specified. However, upon further review I went ahead and ordered the parts, noting that the extra holes were offset from center in the same directions, and 2 of the 4 appeared to line up. If it doesn't work out, appliance pro's will take it back free of charge (minus my shipping, I'm guessing), so I'm not too worried.. heck, for $22 and change, it's worth the risk. I'll report back on proper fit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi all,

When new parts revision kits come out, AppliancePartsPros isn't able to update that in their system, so it will say incompatible, but its definitely compatible for the model numbers that are in the service bulletin bigbuck posted.:)

Jake

jmd

Have similar problem with GE Cafe # CGS990SET5SS. Can anyone tell me the applicable part # for the bottom oven igniter that I would need to replace to go along with the oven deflector kit (WB49X27927) ? Thanks

poolking

Hello to you all,

I am currently having the same issue with our GE- CGS990SET5SS oven.
The GE repair man replaced the ignitor but paid absolutely no attention to the hole which was burned into the deflector !!
I am going to order a new deflector and ignitor and make this simple repair myself.
But i am concerned with how long these items will last. The oven is about 2 1/2 years old.
Any thoughts on this longevity issue and does any one have info on a possible part(s) redesign from GE?
Thanks

micnden

Premium Member
After the repair!

Hello again! Received the new deflector and second new ignitor. When we replaced the first ignitor, we never looked at the bottom of the oven "floor". Once I joined this thread and learned of the new deflector, of course we examined it for replacement. Sure enough - HUGE hole in the bottom! Everything is now replaced and so far functioning. One thing to note, the new deflector needed the holes for the attachment screws tapped. Fortunately, my husband took care of that. I can't believe GE has known about this and not either contacted owners who registered their products or had their dealers do so. Not such great customer relations...However, BIG shout out to the techs on the AppliancePartsPros site! They are just awesome! Thanks also to Jake who commented that the part is in fact compatible, it is. I am attaching a photo of the old deflector in place in case it is helpful to others.

HoIhmDa+QYWKnkoJ0qJOwA.jpg