FIXED GE Cafe Counter-Depth French-Door Refrigerator - CYE22TSHFSS - Freezer works, Top shelf fridge warm

rotobw1

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE22TSHFSS
Brand
GE
I have a ~3 year old GE Cafe Counter Depth French-Door refrigerator, CYE22TSHFSS.

I noticed the items on the top shelf of the refrigerator were feeling pretty warm. Items in the full-width bottom refridgerator door were cold / cans of seltzer freezing. Freezer is working fine. I removed the full-width drawer and found some slight icing up against the rear wall. I have not pulled the unit away from the wall to take a closer look to see if there's any ice buildup anywhere else.

A friend of mine said he had a similar problem with a similar GE model and said his was a problem with a valve that allows air to pass from the freezer up to the fridge? He also said the total cost to have GE come and repair was nearly 1,000.

Can anyone offer any troubleshooting advice for this particular model? If it's defrosting / cleaning / replacing a fan or motor I think I can handle that on my own.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its most likely the evaporator fan motor in the refrigerator section, that's been a major problem GE has had with these models.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WR60X26866 Fan Dc Ff Evap

This video shows how to replace it:

[video=youtube_share;EqylQnRZjU4]

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

rotobw1

Premium Member
update: opened up the back of the fridge and vacuumed the condenser fan but that wasn't in too bad of shape to start. took apart the inside of the fridge and found minimal ice on the coils but it was all on the left side. the styrofoam insulation that's between the plastic covering and the coils was basically a block of ice, though, and the drip tray underneath was a block of ice. melted all of that with a hair dryer and put the thing back together. i *think* the fridge is working now. temperature has gone from 77 after it was unplugged for a couple hours down to 50 over the last 3 hours. will see if it gets down to the setpoint of 38 or at least keeps going down overnight.

one additional question: what is the fan in the bottom left corner of the refrigerator? I don't see it on any of the drawings here: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/assembly/CYE22TSHFSS

The ice on the coils was only on the left most 1/4 or so and the styrofoam around this fan was where it was really iced up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was that fan running inside the refrigerator section? The one I posted the link to above?

what is the fan in the bottom left corner of the refrigerator?
(click to enlarge)
CYE22TSHFSS.jpg

Which fan are you referring to?

#716 is the refrigerator section fan that I posted the link to above.

Jake

rotobw1

Premium Member
yeah, the fan that's piece #716 seemed fine. there wasn't much ice directly under the placement of that fan. all of the ice was to the left of that fan when looking from the outside in at the fridge. near the ice buildup was a second fan that i don't see pictured on the diagram you linked. this second fan is the one that i suspect may be a problem? the styrofoam all around it was basically a solid block of ice. there was also ice along the entire drain trough (piece #730 in the diagram). would the fan (#716) not working cause that ice formation? i just figured if the fan you referenced was the culprit there would be more ice across all of the coils

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you are correct. I just remembered there is another fan inside that styrofoam part you are referring to, it comes as a assembly #799 in that parts diagram.

I located another member that replaced #799 WR17X27084 and that didn't resolve it, it was the normal refrigerator evaporator fan motor #716 that fixed his.

Here's his thread: FIXED: GYE22HSKDSS Fridge compartment both too cold and too warm, same time

The reason his refrigerator evaporator fan motor is a different part number is because his was under a service bulletin that required his to be part WR60X29099

Yours is NOT under that service bulletin, so that's why yours is WR60X26866

Jake

rotobw1

Premium Member
well, fridge lasted ~1.5 months and now it's acting up again. Trying to find a store that sells these fans is pretty tough. Ordering the fan online. Quick question, what happens if you buy the fan without getting the cable (part WR98R882802) that's shown in the video? Is it necessary for the fridge to recognize the new fan?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you already replace the #716 fan yet from when I helped you last month?

Quick question, what happens if you buy the fan without getting the cable (part WR98R882802) that's shown in the video? Is it necessary for the fridge to recognize the new fan?
What's the serial number of your refrigerator?

Software update module (version 8828.02). If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factor service or with this Software Update Module

Here's the #716 fan motor for your model:
WR60X26866

Jake

rotobw1

Premium Member
found a store that had the evaporator fan in stock. picked it up this morning, took ~5 minutes to replace, within 30 minutes the temperature dropped ~10 degrees and about 6 hours later it's reached its 37 degree setpoint.

Thank you SO MUCH for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, so I'm guessing the serial number of your refrigerator did not fall in between serial range HD - FF? So you didn't need the update cable?

Thanks for the update!

Jake

rotobw1

Premium Member
Yup, serial number started with LF so I was all good there. Plus found a really great little repair shop that sells parts and was extremely nice/helpful.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wonderful, yes there are lots of appliance repair shops locally that are very good and knowledgeable.:)

I go to one here in the Phoenix Metro area of Avondale, Arizona when I need parts the same day, know all the guys there by name.:)

Jake