• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Cafe gas range - reinstalled after renovation - ovens not heating

rn8

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS990SET4SS
Brand
GE
We just finished an addition and renovation. Our appliances went unused for 7 months during the work. The floors were replaced in the kitchen which meant our GE Cafe 2-oven gas range was un-installed, moved a few feet, and re-installed after the work. The burners work just fine but the ovens are not heating up properly - the larger lower oven cannot reach temperatures beyond 150-180 even if left on for more than an hour. The smaller upper oven heats slowly and while I can't gauge the actual temperature, it also doesn't get very hot.

I replaced the heating element in the lower oven a few years ago but at that time it did not heat at all. Any ideas on what this might be? In particular is it possible that it was re-installed incorrectly by our contractor? I'm trying to figure out if I need a repair technician, a re-install by my contractor, or if this is the end of the line for a 7-year-old range (for which new ones are severely backordered!) I have no technical skills and won't attempt any DIY solutions, just trying to assess who to call. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I replaced the heating element in the lower oven a few years ago but at that time it did not heat at all.
I have no technical skills and won't attempt any DIY solutions, just trying to assess who to call.
Why the contradiction?

This is a gas model, there is no lower element that I can see.

If it was working fine before your addition and renovation, then it must of been something the contractor did or forgot to do when they re-installed it.

On some models there will be a little shut-off lever on the gas regulator in the back of the range, if that lever got shut off by accident, the stovetop will still get gas and heat, but the ovens won't.

Is the gas flame actually ON or NOT when the oven is trying to heat? The oven ignitor will glow orange and put in some heat, but the gas flame needs to light and flame the burner to heat properly.

Jake

rn8

Premium Member
Sorry - didn't mean to suggest that *I* personally replaced the heating element a few years ago - I hired a technician who did! (Or maybe it was the igniter? I just remember it cost about $500.)

Yes, I can see orange when I try to heat the oven. I don't see a gas flame (but not sure if I typically would have.) I'm hoping that there's something simple like a shut-off valve. If that sounds plausible I'll get the contractor to re-examine it and make sure they didn't hit that lever off.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry - didn't mean to suggest that *I* personally replaced the heating element a few years ago - I hired a technician who did! (Or maybe it was the igniter? I just remember it cost about $500.)
Got it!

Yes, I can see orange when I try to heat the oven. I don't see a gas flame (but not sure if I typically would have.) I'm hoping that there's something simple like a shut-off valve. If that sounds plausible I'll get the contractor to re-examine it and make sure they didn't hit that lever off.
Yes, that's what I'd recommend first.

Jake