• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Cafe Oven - Steam comes out when oven door opens and triggers control panel (CHS950P2M1S1)

james.smith

Model Number
CHS950P2M1S1
Brand
GE
Model: CHS950P2M1S1
Brand: GE Cafe
Specs: Electric dual-oven with an induction cooktop

This probably started about a year after I purchased the oven...just out of warranty. When I open the top or botton oven doors while food is cooking, steam escapes out the front and ends up "pushing buttons" on the front control panel. This causes things like ovens to turn off or even lock the controls. (This doesn't happen when there is no food in the oven).

My first assumption is that the vents are clogged so that the steam can't escape out of the top. However, when the oven heats up, the fan kicks on and I feel air blowing out of the top right side of the oven.

The ovens look pretty clean so I tried running the steam clean (in the top oven) tonight. And it didn't seem to help. I'm hesitant to do the full self-clean on the oven since I read stories about it not being great for the oven.

Any thoughts on what I can try to get the steam to vent properly out of the top instead of when I open the door?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The cooling fan is designed to keep the heat away from the controls. Sounds like moisture is getting inside the control. That's the only difference between food and no food. Over time, moisture on electronics causes a lot of problems. Try taking the control out and cleaning the keytail/ribbon connectors.