• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Cafe Range C2S986SEL2SS - blower noise after service appointment

kahuna130

Premium Member
Model Number
C2S986SEL2SS
Brand
GE
I recently had a service call on a GE CAFE C2S986SEL2SS because the oven bulb does not work and replacing the bulb did not resolve the issue. While the cause of the oven light not working is the result of a faulty control panel (which I did not replace) after closing up the oven and completing the inspection I now hear a loud noise coming from the oven once it warms up. It sounds like the blower is rubbing on something. This noise did not occur prior to the service visit. In speaking with the service tech he said that he did not touch this part of the oven, so he did not cause the issue. I'm not sure if I agree with this, but I don't know what might be causing this new noise. The tech said the sound is not normal (which I knew - seems obvious) and that we should not use the oven until it is repaired. My question for the group is given the situation (one day the blower is fine and after a service inspection there is now a problem) what might be causing the issue? You can hear the sound by playing this brief video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sYtjou2gsWW5T5Js8

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help with this!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to have the tech. come back out to see what's going on, if that noise was not there before he arrived, then he must of did something to make the blower noisy on accident.

Did you see the tech pull the range out from the wall? Did he open the range up? Or just say the control panel is bad?

Jake

kahuna130

Premium Member
Jake - thanks for your reply. The tech came back to investigate and here's what we found. During the first visit the tech removed a couple covers on the back of the oven to investigate the non-functional oven light issue, which he diagnosed to be the control panel. (He also said it's an expensive repair to make, so I might want to pass on the control panel replacement to avoid the expense for a minor convenience of an oven light - and I agreed.) When the panels/covers were replace a wire that powers the cooling fan was poking into the fan blade. When the fan switched on the blade was striking the wire. Once he moved the wire away from the fan blade the issue was resolved.

Thanks again for your reply and input - very much appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that's all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake