• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Cafe Range CGS985SET1SS - oven smells of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mblough22

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS985SET1SS
Brand
GE
Hello, I have a GE Cafe that recently the oven started to struggle to light (about 14 years old). After some googling it seemed that by far the most likely problem was the ignitor. I replaced the ignitor and now it lights as it should. However, "most" of the time while operating (over a few tries), we smelled gas and stopped it. I am sure it is coming from the ignitor. Thoughts?

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

mblough22

Premium Member
One more comment, the replacement ignitor was a universal from amazon that "states" works for GE models.

Robert4

Premium Member
That's probably why. There are lots of parts that claim to be OEM on Amazon, but are just cheap knock-offs that don't work.

What's your model number?

mblough22

Premium Member
I wish I knew. We have looked over every inch but unfortunately age has taken a toll and there is nothing close to readable remaining.

mblough22

Premium Member
I should point out, everything appears to happen exactly as it should. The glow bar begins to light, over 30s it becomes hot enough, I can hear the valve and the gas start and immediately there is flame. When it turns off the flame stops exactly when the sound of gas stops. So I am not sure why there would be any gas smell. I have done the soap test on all of the obvious spots (and there was no gas smell prior and the broiler works fine with separate ignitor). Also the gas smell is not "strong". I'm not saying it is usable, there definitely is a problem, just that it seems like it is "close". I'm leaning towards just replacing this amazon ignitor before calling an expert and hoping this current ignitor is just marginally defective.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need the model number of your range first. Robert is correct, you need the OEM ignitor per your model number. The amazon ignitor will NOT work properly.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

mblough22

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Robert was able to track down model number of oven and part, it is WB13K21.

Thanks to both for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Igniter-WB13K21-01349184.jpg
LINK> WB13K21 Oven igniter assembly

This ignitor should draw 3.3 - 3.6 amps.

Jake

mblough22

Premium Member
Correct, worried me to, which is why I wondered if you knew if that was a reputable site.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always order my parts for my local customers from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic. They have never failed me yet, and I've been doing business with them both since 2004.:)

But you can use a amp meter to see what your amp draw is on the oven bake ignitor you have in there now.

It would be good to amp test it with a clamp style amp meter, clamped around one of the ignitor wires.

Normal would be 3.3 - 3.6 amps.

Jake

mblough22

Premium Member
Sorry it took so long to post this, replacing the bake ignitor did the trick. No problems since replacing.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new bake ignitor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.