• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Cafe Range CS980SN1SS Oven blower fan replaced but still does not run on low speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

niferp

Premium Member
Model Number
CS980SN1SS
Brand
GE
Last week my blower fan on my 8 year old GE Cafe CS980SN1SS sparked, flamed up a little and then died. I replaced the blower fan (the old one did have a scorch mark on the low connection side) and tested by turning the oven on to 500 and waiting. Nothing happened.

Next day with clearer head - I turned oven onto clean mode and the fan does work on that high speed for the cleaning cycle. So tried again, turning oven on to 500 and waiting 20 minutes (online heard that there is a 12 minute delay after reaching temp). Blower fan did not turn on.

I would swear I heard a click just about the time it should have turned on, and another click after I turned the oven off somewhere around 250 degrees. So I think the relays are clicking...but something is not working.

Is it wiring? Is it the control board? Something else? Just a DIYer trying to fix it myself :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located the service manual for your model, I'm attaching it below. Page 18 goes into good detail about how it works.

Low speed is used for cooking functions and high speed is used only in the self-clean mode. The blower is operated by the ERC (a function of oven temperature), when cooling timing parameters are met.

Blower speed is determined by the position of door latch switch #3. (See Door Lock Assembly.)

Cooling Timing Parameters
The cooling blower will not turn on immediately when a cooking function is set. IT WILL TURN ON WHEN THE OVEN TEMPERATURE REACHES APPROXIMATELY 450°F. If the oven is turned off and the blower is running, the blower will remain on until the oven temperature drops to below 300°F.

So if its not changing speeds to LOW, I'd check your door latch switch first.

Here's the door latch switch assembly for your model:

Jake

Attachments

• CS980SN1SS Service Manual.pdf
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 51

niferp

Premium Member
Is there a way to test that switch before replacing the entire latch assembly. I feel like there is still a chance its the ERC...since the ERC controls the blower turning on at 450. Which comes first the ERC or the latch :) Trying to think what is more likely to have been affected by the motor blowing up...the control panel or the door latch switch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you can ohm test the latch switch with a multimeter.

Depending upon if yours is a 2 TERMINAL latch switch OR a 3 TERMINAL latch switch, here's both videos that show you how:

Make sure you disconnect power to the range before accessing and ohm testing it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

niferp

Premium Member
Testing was inconclusive. Since the lock was in a open position...it tested as if the open position was the closed circuit. I was unable to flip to a lock position to test the other half of the circuit...so didn't know if the circuit has shorted shut or if it was working.

So I trusted your expertise and just bought the door lock assembly. Installed it today (20 minute job!) and the fan is now working. It was so quiet that I was not sure I was successful - but got really close and sure enough - it is running.

Thank you for your help and your expertise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent niferp, glad to hear the new door latch switch assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.