• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE CFE28TSHESS Cafe refrigerator deli section freezing food at about 23 degree the two drawer above is about 30 degree upper refig ok also freezer ok

rickaw

Premium Member
Model Number
CFE28TSHESS
Brand
GE
The deli drawer is freezing food at about 23 degree the two drawers above is at about 30 dgree and the upper section seem to be staying normal at the set setting of 37 degree also the freezer is working ok.
I did the diagnostic test for the fan/motor and they all seem to be in spec within the RPM ranges, on the thermistor test they all seem ok except for the deli thermister I get a very high 625.19F.
Diagnostic test was done later after I replaced the deli thermistor not knowing about this site.
Possibly and a bad thermistor purchased at Amazon very cheap $7.90 or one the circuit board is bad any help/insite welcome.

Shawnryan111

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I am not 100% sure about this but inside the evaporator cover I think there is a damper and a fan that is only for the deli drawer. Remove the evaporator cover and look in there and see if the damper is stuck open.

Shawnryan111

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I know there is a damper but I am not sure if its motorized and I am not sure about the fan. I think its a motorized damper and a fan. In any case we need to see if the damper is broken or stuck open

rickaw

Premium Member
Shawn, thanks for the reply,
For some reason my refig has no damper, when I looked up the part list for the fan it show the complete assembly as a replacement and not sure if the new unit comes with a damper or not. I found a fan online so I just replaced the fan and diagnostic test #51 show 4616 rpm so I think the fan is working.
I don't understand about the damper part is it because my refig is a early version and it was modified later, I look for infor online but could not find one.

Ric

rickaw

Premium Member
Another thing I remember is after removing the evap case cover and the deli fan disconnected I checked for voltage at the socket it showed 16.3 v so without checking the motor I odered a motor and replaced it, before reassembly I just plug the fan in only to see if it works but it did not after removing the fan I rechecked for voltage and it still shows 16.3v I apply 12v to the fan and it works and decided to check the old fan and it too works, the fan has a 4 prong plug so I think when it's plug in something is causing the system to shut off the current or maybe a bad circuit board, just my thought.

Ric

Shawnryan111

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It may not be a damper just the fan. I am not sure. I thought it was both. The whole assembly is what you would have to replace

rickaw

Premium Member
Hello, thanks for the reply the fan is new my second post after the first one this am explains things.

Ric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Shawn is correct.

Here's the parts diagram: Parts for GE CFE28TSHESS: Fresh Food Section Parts

#799 is the whole styrofoam assembly part with that little fan motor in it: WR17X27084

You are absolutely sure its running? Do you hear it running?

on the thermistor test they all seem ok except for the deli thermister I get a very high 625.19F.
Diagnostic test was done later after I replaced the deli thermistor not knowing about this site.
Possibly and a bad thermistor purchased at Amazon very cheap $7.90 or one the circuit board is bad any help/insite welcome.
#719 is the deli thermistor you replaced? this one:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Jake

rickaw

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
Yes I hear it running when I do the fan test 4616 rpm, besides it's a new fan/motor I just installed.
I mention this on my last post the reason I replaced the fan is because when I removed the fan electrical plug and checked the voltage at the socket I got 16.3v and without checking the fan itself I asummed it was bad but after connecting the new fan it still did not work so I rechecked the socket with the plug out I got the same voltage reading as it turns out the old motor was still good because when I apply 12v to it both motors worked.
I think when the fan's 4 prong plug is is plugged in there some feedback causing the system to shut the voltage off, I don't know just speculating at this point.
Another thing while I have you doing the thermister test #26 FF evaporator thermister test I get 625 F degree very high number what would cause it.

Thanks to you I'm able to do these test with the manual you posted on the forum, only thing I can't find is the deli board circuit schematic.

Thank's for your help Jake.

Regards, Ric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ric, I read all that.

Another thing while I have you doing the thermister test #26 FF evaporator thermister test I get 625 F degree very high number what would cause it.
It should be at about 16.3k ohms in a glass of ice water, waiting at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

#719 is the deli thermistor you replaced? this one:
Thermistor WR55X10025

rickaw

Premium Member
Deli thermistor is ok I check it with a meter as it cool down and it was within spec.

Thanks, Ric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it! You have a strange situation going on that I'm puzzled by,

Its best to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to have a GE tech. come out to see what's going on.

rickaw

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for trying,
One thing I cannot figure out maybe you know the answer, for the deli pan fan/motor you have to replace complete housing assembly not just the fan/motor why is it because they made some changes and added a damper to it if so will it work with the original control board or does that need to be replaced also.

Seems like the problem I have is a common problem with the deli pan food freezing what are some of the parts that fails.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One thing I cannot figure out maybe you know the answer, for the deli pan fan/motor you have to replace complete housing assembly not just the fan/motor why is it because they made some changes and added a damper to it if so will it work with the original control board or does that need to be replaced also.
That's how GE made it to be, why that is I don't know either.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.