• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE CYE22USHISS Fridge not cooling

discobiscuits

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE22USHISS
Brand
GE
It seems I have the same problem as this guy:

My freezer is working but it is working in overdrive and getting colder than set. The fridge is warm(55) but the bottom drawer is freezing. Behind the bottom drawers are frosted up where the cold air is supposed to come in. Water line/dispenser is frozen.

I confirmed I do need the software patch from that other thread as my serial number is GH. I can see/hear the fan running in the freezer as well.

I tried thawing out both by unplugging it around 3PM Sunday with all doors open until Monday morning. Issue remains.

Anyone here have tips or next steps? Fridge came with the house I bought but is relatively new...are there warranties for this type of issue? Really don't want to pay to have a repair guy look at this or drop money on a new fridge. Thanks to the DIY experts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I confirmed I do need the software patch from that other thread as my serial number is GH. I can see/hear the fan running in the freezer as well.
I think you mean to say: I confirmed I do NOT need the software patch from that other thread as my serial number is GH?

The freezer fan is running? But is the refrigerator fan running? That's the one that has been the problem child on these models.

Like I mentioned in that thread:
If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factory service or a Software Update Module WR98R882802 for proper performance.

If your refrigerator was NOT made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF, then you DON'T need the Software Update Module, just the evaporator fan motor.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model you can order:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X26866

So if your Serial Number is GH, then you just need the new evaporator fan motor. Your refrigerator was made in April 2017.

Jake

discobiscuits

Premium Member
Yeah, meant to say do not!

I took apart the fridge part yesterday and there appear to be two fans - one on the left(smaller) and one in the middle that goes up. I could not see either working, but am not sure how long they take to kick in.

will look to replace one. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The main evaporator fan motor is the one I posted the link to above in post #2, that's the problem child one that goes bad for this warm refrigerator problem you are having.

Jake

discobiscuits

Premium Member
Fixed it!

That fan wasn't pushing the cool air to top of fridge and since it was getting stuck was freezing water line and bottom of the fridge. With the new fan it is working as it should!

Had taken the thing apart a few times before I bought the fan. Should have gotten the part from the get go! Thanks! Save me some coin for sure!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new evaporator fan motor fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake