• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE DBVH512EF0WW dryer turns off after a few minutes,

marsmolly

Premium Member
Model Number
DBVH512EF0WW
Brand
GE
Hi,

We have been having problems with our dryer, model GE DBVH512EF0WW. First we noticed the dryer was taking a long time to dry clothes and then stopped working. We saw the belt was broken so we replaced that. It worked again, though still took longer than normal to dry clothes. Then it starting making squeaking noises and clothes were getting caught up top. It also started randomly shutting off but would turn back on in a few minutes. We opened it back up and noticed a cracked top bearing and worn drum slides so we replaced those and the felt duct seal. We cleaned out all the duct work and the dryer. It worked again after that but started shutting off mid cycle more frequently and would not start up as quickly.

We tried replacing the #507 part on the schemtics (High Limit Thermostat) and that did nothing.

Now it will only run for a few minutes before shutting off. We ran it through the diagnostic mode and the only thing that seemed not right was that for test T08 the motor would not start for the inlet thermistor temperature if we ran the test before T07 for the outlet one. Test T08 would run if we gave it a breat between tests. The temperature reading on the inlet test was around 145 and climbing.

We are kind of stuck now. Is the problem with thermostats or the motor?

Any help here is appreciated. We are a few days away from just buying a new dryer! haha

Thanks;)

marsmolly

Premium Member
update

Update..we tried running the dryer with the top off to see if we noticed anything. When the dryer did shut off if we touched the motor relay k100 or the plugs near it on the powerboard it would turn on again. What could be causing it to turn off if it is related to this motor relay k100 or the plugs around it (CN100 and CN111)? Is something lose on the powerboard? Or does it have to do to a part that the wires are leading to from these plugs?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

marsmolly

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, that was what I was afraid of. If we have to replace that I am thinking we may as well get a new dryer...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know how handy you are but some people have tried resolder PCB connections in the hope of fixing a bad one. I don't know if cold solder joints are visually identifiable. Replacing the relay, if it was the cause, might be much more difficult.

Are you in Canada? That part looks to be cheaper there.

Dan O.
Appliance411.ca
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
it cuts off on the no heat setting as well!
To Bad. Another person with a similar model is experiencing a similar problem but on theirs the motor will continue to run in a 'no heat' setting. I hoped yours might exhibit the same symptom and thus both have a similar cause to try to isolate. :(

I don't see anything in the dryer that would account for the motor cutting out besides the motor itself or control board. I don't know if there's some logic in the control that shuts to motor down if a sensor senses a particular condition. In such a case a sensor out of calibration or failing, might cause the control to act up?

One of the sensors is shown near the front air duct and might have been damaged or reinstalled incorrectly when you replaced the support bearing and drum glides? A problem with it might affect the T08 test??

LINK > Dryer Heating Element Control Thermistor

The other thermister looks to be on the blower housing but might be Ok considering it passed the T07 test?

LINK > Dryer Thermistor

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited:

Lombardocs

Premium Member
Hi I'm having a similar problem with a GE GFDR485EFMC. What happens if it cuts off on a heat setting, but DOESNT cut off on a no heat setting? That's my issue.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Start a new message pls

Lombardocs said:
I'm having a similar problem with a G.E. GFDR485EFMC.
That's a totally different model than the OP's. You should start a new message thread for your question(s) on it.

Lombardocs said:
What happens if it cuts off on a heat setting, but DOESNT cut off on a no heat setting?
Maybe its overheating and cutting out on an over-heat protector?? Is there any evidence of overheating?

If you need further assistance, please start a new message thread for your question(s) with all pertinent details.

Dan O.

Kcannava

Does Air Fluff cut out as well?

Did you try the dryer on a non-heat setting like 'air fluff'? If not, please do and report back.

I'm curious if the same symptom occurs when not heating.

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Mine turned out to be the pink and white wires in the door not connected to sensor strips. While moving the dryer one wire came loose and the off. Tighten the connector and now is perfect!