• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dishwasher does not drain

Johnson

Premium Member
I have a GE Profile Performance GSD4610Z00AA dishwasher which does not drain completely after the cycle. I am left with about 2 inches of water in the tub, just enough to cover the heating element. The previous owner had a GE technician look at it and he said the problem was the "pump". Pump prices range from $75 -$110 and I would like to know if there are any other things I should be checking before I buy a new pump and/or how to tell if the pump is really broken. It is not that I do not trust the technician or the previous owner, I just want to double check my options before dropping that amount of cash. Thanks for any advice.

Johnson

PRLSR

Premium Member
Dishwasher does not drain

I have a GE profile dishwasher GSD5940D00SS and it did not drain on the last cycle. I took out the NO.2 drain pump. The motor ran and the impellers were intact. I checked the drain solonoid and it was ok. In this model there are two flapper valves to prevent backflow. One was damaged and both were about 1-1/3 their natural size. I replaced them. The real culprit I believe was the Drain check valve. You do not have to pull the dishwasher to get to it. Open the door, take out the racks. In the back is a screen held in by 4 screws. Remove the screen. The check vave is underneath. It has two wings on it to help you unscrew it(counterclockwise). The disk on my valve was almost completely eroded, therefore not preventing a backflow of water into the machine. I replaced it and the machine now drains as designed.

I bought the parts locally for a total of about $20. I recommend that you replace the backflow flappers if they are still the originals. However, to do this you must pull the machine out because they are in the drain apparatus in the lower back of the machine.

PRLSR

Johnson

Premium Member
Okay I took your advice and after reading more blogs I replaced the Piston Nut assembly this morning. The rubberish flap on the old one was missing peices and completely corroded. I ran a wash cycle and found out that my dishwasher drains water four times total, once after the wash and three times during the rinse cycle. I checked the tub each time I heard water draining into my garbage disposal and each time the tub had drained except for the last rinse cycle. On the last rinse cycle my tub still had water in the tub, so the problem still persists. Any further advice on items to check before I replace the pump would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnson

PRLSR

Premium Member

Johnson
I assume you replaced GE Part# WD24X10018 on the inside bottom of the tub. You can see a picture of it there.

From you description it sounds like it was in as bad shape as mine. I'm surprised that the fix did not work.
If your washer has two pumps as mine, the smaller pump could be the problem. There are some simple things you can check first without pulling the washer. Find the drain on the inside and remove the cover which has two screws. Look for debri including soap residue and clean it all out. Even a small obstruction can prevent water flow.

You can check the operation of the drain solonoid from the front after removing the lower plate.

If the solonoid operates properly, to check further you will have to pull the machine. I do not know what equipment you have or how far you want to go. The drain pump can easily be removd by removing the leads and opening the hose clamps. If you cannot check it yourself, perhaps the parts store will check it for you.

In any case, if you go this far, be sure to change the flapper valves which are associated with the pump plumbing.

PRLSR

PRLSR

Premium Member
Johnson
Here is what the flappers look like:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=209918
show

PRLSR

PRLSR

Premium Member
Johnson
Sorry wrong URL, however, it is a good site for checking parts . You probably can get a schematic for your particular model. Meanwhile here is the part:

show

PRLSR

Johnson

Premium Member
Update

Okay I did everything that you said so far about the solenoid and the flappers in the back. The solenoid works. I pulled out the machine and took the "self clean filter"http://www.applianceaid.com/pictools/gedishcheckvalve.jpg off and noticed there was a little flapper valve in there which was twisted. That flapper valve seemed in good condition so I left it alone but I did untwist it. Then I took off this curved thick black hose, it's pictured here to the right of the #3 with a green clamp and a yellow clamp. http://www.applianceaid.com/images/gedishdrainhelp3.jpg Where the hose has a yellow clamp in this picture I found another flapper valve.

This valve was completely ripped up. The O-Ring was still in place but the nickel sized flapper was torn off and stuck in the black hose. Tomorrow I am going to buy a new flapper, looks to be about $10 locally. It's exactly what you said would be wrong. :) I'll let you know tomorrow how things go after replacing the broken flapper valve. I am hoping this broken valve and the broken Piston & Nut assembly will be the only problems. I checked the recall and I do fall into that category. If this new valve doesnt work and I am left with a broken pump then I think I will have to go the route of using the Rebate and getting a new one. Thanks again for all of your help so far! I'll get back to you on Monday about the flapper valve replacement.

Thank you very much,
Johnson

PRLSR

Premium Member

Johnson
As long as you have the dishwasher out and to make sure you do not need two flappers, put the drain hose back on the outlet. Now blow into the end of the hose that attaches to the drain(usually the disposer). If you do not encounter resistance, the flapper is not working. Also, even if these valves are not broken, they could be distorted. Mine were at least 30% oversize. When I saw the new valve at the parts store I could not beleive it was the same one. Both locations take the exact same valve.
PRLSR

Johnson

Premium Member
PRLSR,
Okay I blew into the drain hose and got no resistance from the "self clean filter/check valve assembly" ( there seems to be many names for that yellowish box) valve. So I assume that this valve needs replacing as well. However I cannot find this valve anywhere to order. It is not the same valve as the other one however. The one I ordered this morning ( local parts store were charging $25, and sears.com shipping and handling was only $11) was the back flapper valve which is bigger than the "check valve" shown here. http://www.applianceaid.com/pictools/gedishcheckvalve.jpg
I took the back flapper valve 0-ring and tried to put it into the check valve's spot and it just won't fit. Any advice on this second valve? I hope I won't have to buy an entire check assembly just to get this other valve.

Johnson

Johnson

Premium Member
I contacted repairclinic.com and they said that GE discontinued the check valve body, which is what holds the second valve which I thought was still okay. http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=1265&N=271837

When I blew into the drain hose this is the part which let some air in, but not alot. I do have the valve which attaches to the drain pump on order and it will arrive in a few days. Anyhow, that's the most recent update and I also have a question. Since the flapper valve on the drain pump was completely gone and the flapper was lodged in the black hose, in theory, couldn't I still run a load of dishes and just press the reset button twice to drain the remaining water out? I ask because I will have a nice load of dishes to get done before this part arrives and I would like to use the dishwaher instead of my hands. =) What do you think?

Thanks,
Johnson

PRLSR

Premium Member

Johnson
Both valves were the same on my machine and cost me $11.20 total. The valve you blew into prevents the residual water in the drain hose from flowing back into the machine. It's not a lot of water. The valve part lodged in the black hose could easily prevent the final drain. You could probably run the machine without it. Any residual water could be taken out with Cancel/Drain.
If you go to the GE Appliance site. You will find a help 800 number. Mostly, what they do is look at the schematic of your machine and advise you about the parts. They could give you the information on the two flappers. I am surprised that they are not the same.
PRLSR

Johnson

Premium Member
Well I replaced the back flapper valve and decided not to replace the valve in the valve check assembly. Now my dishwasher works perfectly! I'll say again that a General Electric technician had previously come to check out the dishwasher and diagnosed it with a "bad pump" and quoted a $350 price tag for parts and labor. The two valves I replaced cost about $35 (parts/shipping) and all together took me about 45 minutes to replace them. I'm not going to judge that specific technicians ethics or morals so I'll just have to assume he is incompetent and next time he should look to PRLSR, jeff1, Jake, Dan O., aaastan, and Mad Mac for advice on his next client. Thanks again guys for having this wonderful site up and a specific thanks to PRLSR for saving me $315.

Very appreciative,
Johnson

PRLSR

Premium Member
Johnson
I'm glad things worked out for you. I am still convinced that both the flapper valves are the same, however, I am sure you do not want to pull the dishwasher out again so soon. Be sure your drain hose is looped above where it attaches to the sink plumbing. If not, and the sink drain clogs the water in the sink could siphon back into the dishwasher.
PRLSR