• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE dishwasher GDF620HGJ2BB 3 beeps which are 2-tone after pressing the start button

Status
Not open for further replies.

thub

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HGJ2BB
Brand
GE
Judging by the entries this seems to be a common problem, i.e. where you get the 3 beeps when you press start, and where in the service check mode all lights on the front panel are flashing instead of being all on.

I have the same issue, replaced the door latch, which didn't help, checked it and it's working fine. I checked the door latch related cables in the harness for throughput and they work fine.

So I ordered a new main control board which apparently always fixes the issue. I installed the board, but before putting back the junction box cover I connected the dishwasher plug and went into the service check mode.

This time all lamps came on and stayed on, so I thought the problem is fixed.
I disconnected the dishwasher, and put everything back together and moved it into place. When I then tried to run a cycle, the 3 beeps were back as well as the all flashing lights in the service mode.

Is it possible the new board is somehow fried again? But why, the machine didn't even run. The board itself isn't dead, the control LED on the board is still continuously blinking, a little bit more than one time per 3sec.

Any idea what else could be wrong?

Many thanks!
Tim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You got a bad machine control board Tim, contact the place where you got it and let them know.

Here's the machine control board for your model:

You can see from others it always fixes this issue:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tim, sounds good.

Jake

thub

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

the replacement board of the replacement board sorted the 'door open' issue, and the dishwasher is running again. However, I run it now three times, and it looks like the heating element does no longer work. Not sure if it hasn't for all three runs, but certainly not for the last two. The heating worked perfectly fine before the issue with the control board started. Does this now mean I got another faulty control board, i.e. one where the door close loop is working, but one where the switch on the heating element is not?

I went ahead into the error and then service mode and run test 4. The machine made kind of a strange, unusual sound and I let it run until the test ended. Then a not quite, but somehow burned smell came out of the machine.

Does this mean in the service mode the heating element worked, but now it's fried, because I didn't stop the test in time, or since there was no water in the machine? Any idea what is wrong now?

Many thanks!

Tim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tim,

Where is it you are getting the machine control boards from?

We recommend getting OEM parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, all parts from them ALWAYS has a 365 day warranty.

Jake

thub

Premium Member
Many thanks for your quick reply. It was an OEM part, in the original box. I found it on Amazon, and they replaced it for me. I could ask them for another replacement, but is there a way to test if it's now indeed the control board? I saw somewhere it could also be the flood sensor, but of course, it sounds a bit unlikely that something unrelated to the board breaks just when I put it in. Why do these boards fail in these particular manners, i.e. instead of not working at all, some functions are interrupted?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I trust nothing on amazon or ebay when IT COMES TO appliance parts.

I would never in a million years buy appliance parts on amazon or ebay.

There is no way to test the control board unless you have GE come out and connect their $5000 diagnostic laptop to the ethernet port.

It can only be the door latch switch or control board causing this problem, and you already replaced the door latch switch.

Why do these boards fail in these particular manners, i.e. instead of not working at all, some functions are interrupted?
Because GE sucks!!! Plain and simple brother!!!

Look at all the threads in the GE dishwasher forum compared to the Maytag dishwasher forum, and you will see 100 times more GE dishwasher problems than Maytag dishwasher problems.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One more thing Tim, did you check the door latch strike to make sure that was not cracked or broken?

Here it is for your model:
WD13X10071 Striker Latch

Video Included in part link.

Jake

thub

Premium Member
Many thanks for your honest reply, and yes, this was my last ever GE appliance, their microwave/hood combination I have is rubbish too. Regarding the striker latch, the 'door open' issue is solved with the 2nd replacement board, but now the heating element doesn't work anymore, which could be related to the control board too a repair video on youtube claims. I've returned the one from Amazon and ordered one from the link you gave above. Hope this one reaches me intact.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the heating element was working before, and its not working with that control board from amazon, then it has to be the bad control board again from amazon.

Glad you where able to confirm the bad control boards from amazon was causing the "door open" issue.

Yes, keep us posted on the new control board from AppliancePartsPros.

Jake

thub

Premium Member
Just to close this one, with the new control board from AppliancePartsPros the machine is finally fixed. No door or heating element issue. Many thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Tim, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.