• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher GDF620HSJ4SS Wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sooner07

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HSJ4SS
Brand
GE
GE Appliance Quality Decline after Haier (2016)?

GE Dishwasher (2017) won't turn on. Checked power, including connection, no multimeter but power seems to be going up to the door. Steady green status light, no communication between UI and Control Board. In the process of replacing the UI per this forum. We'll see but its already been more helpful than the official site.

Anyway this is my second house, second dishwasher, so for future appliance replacement: Have appliances become worse, less durable, more complicated, or just GE since Chinese Haier bought them?

Water, vibration, and temperature aside, solid state electronics don't seem like they should be the point of failure before other components. Is it because "Sanyou" components are in the final product? Knock on wood and different appliances, but I haven't had issues with my Korean appliances. I think my old dishwasher was Maytag.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sooner07 said:
Have appliances become worse, less durable, more complicated

Absolutely! It doesn't help all the environmental and energy restrictions that have been mandated since the early 2000's and increasing periodically.

Sooner07 said:
or just GE since Chinese Haier bought them?

GE's gone down hill way before Haier bought them. I think their big slide began with their electronically controlled refrigerators in the 2000’s then with the redesign of their laundry products.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

Sooner07

Premium Member
Yet has the intelligibility of R2-D2. Literally before the UI (I suspect) failed it would just randomly beep. Door open, closed, middle of the day, night, whatever, which is also why I suspect it is the UI and not the Main Control Board. Maybe its a design flaw of having (Chinese) electronics but insufficient vibration, humidity, temperature protection given its close to where the steam is vented. Unpopular opinion, I just expect so-called durables to be durable.

Sooner07

Premium Member
FIXED: The User Interface (UI) WD21X23462 was the issue of GE Dishwasher not turning on. Checked power, connections, and Main Control Board (MCB). Steady green light on MCB, power from the MCB to the UI. Replaced UI. Followed instructions for personality jumpers for this group of dishwashers.

Both the Main Control Board and User Interface are stamped "Made in China". China has significant market share on cheap (relatively; it was still an overpriced $100) circuit boards, so I don't know if other brands also have this junk. There are no moving parts, environment is moderate (heat and humidity, but somewhat shielded), but the dishwasher has only seen average use for 1.5 years since late 2017. Either way, it took a month to import.

Moving forward with respect to the workers in Louisville, I Do Not Recommend any GE Appliances, because they are Made in China.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Most electronic controls used by all of the appliance manufacturers come from off shore. GE is not unique.

Glad to hear you figured it out. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.