• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE dishwasher GDT535PSJ2SS no lights or power on the control panel

Stingray

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT535PSJ2SS
Brand
GE
No lights or power on the controls. After reading some similar posts here, I removed the J box and the bottom panel and dropped down the main control board. I have a solid green light on, apparently indicating no communication between the UI board and the main board. What’s the next step, my model is different from the one I read which advised to measure the voltage between 2 pins, but my model‘s pins might be different and I don’t want to blow out anything ? Thanks

Last edited:

Stingray

Premium Member
After reading more threads I determined that my main control board has the same pins as the one in some threads so I checked the voltage and it’s 14 VDC, so I guess my UI board is bad, I’ll replace it and see what happens.

Advice to others - the multimeter leads will be pretty wide in diameter compared to the spacing of the pins and the solder on the back of the pins will be soft and coated with rosin so you have to pierce them a tad with the point of the lead without accidentally touching the other pins to get a reading. This is not so easy to do laying on the floor and working in a really tight space (especially if you’re 65 and out of shape). I found that you could pull out the main board some more on the left side to make the pins easier to get to. However, don’t push too hard on the solder … I accidentally smooshed the ground pin solder with the lead and had to “push” some of it away from the adjacent pin with a blade so it wouldn’t ground it out.

I‘ll update this thread once I replace the UI board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, That indicates you will need to order and replace the UI Board.

Here's the user interface(UI) Board for your model you can order:
WD21X23461 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember--->You have to set the personality jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it or it will not work, the instructions that came with the new UI Board show you how to do it.:)

Here's the service manual instructions for your exact model:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD

Page 26 Door Removal
Page 28 Separate Door
Page 29 Front Control Console Removal
Page 30 UI Removal

Let us know how it goes.

Another way to measure those pins if your meter leads are to thick is use the safety pin trick, Rick posted:
safety pin 500x250.jpg

Jake

Stingray

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I actually ordered one from Amazon last night. They had one left in stock with 1 day Prime shipping so I grabbed it. Should be here tomorrow. From what I’ve read in the manual, it looks like a fairly lengthy process to get the door off and split it. Mine has top controls, I don’t know if that makes it harder, easier, or the same as front controls. Hopefully the UI board is the same and I ordered the right one. It’s the same part # as you listed above. It definitely would have been easier if I knew about the safety pin trick. everyone should do that unless they have thin leads. After the fact I remembered I had an old radio shack pocket sized auto-sensing meter upstairs with smaller leads that I use for hobby stuff that would have been better.

Interestingly, I live in a new, small subdivision with about 50 homes mostly built by the same builder in the last 3- 5 years. At least 10 people, probably more, have had problems with their builder supplied GE dishwashers already. Most just bought new ones of a different brand. I also needed to have a main board replaced on my builder installed GE front load washer after only 3 years. It was a $200 dollar board. I’m starting to think GE is not what it used to be quality wise.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE appliances are not what they used to be, you are correct.

Yes, follow the service manual and it will guide you on how to replace the UI Board.

Follow the instructions that come with the new UI Board to set the personality jumpers before you replace the UI Board.

Jake

Stingray

Premium Member
“Personality jumpers” seems like a strange name to give to the jumpers on an appliance … at least until they evolve and start talking to us like the Alexa enabled devices do.

I forgot to mention that prior to my UI going dead, my dishwasher had been randomly chiming for weeks or months. It took me a really long time to figure out what was doing the chiming. I first assumed that I had a weak battery in a smoke detector or alarm system component. Once I realized the chime was the same sound the dishwasher makes once done and opened, I searched for how to silence the sound on it and I turned it off. I wonder if that random chiming is a sign that the UI board is going bad.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I had another thread this afternoon, same randomness. When it does random turning on and off, or chiming randomly when no one is around the dishwasher and the dishwasher is NOT in use, its always a bad UI Board.:)

Jake