• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dishwasher GDT545PSJ2SS Intermittent complete power loss

gsoublis

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT545PSJ2SS
Brand
GE
I need some help please on a GE GDT545PSJ2SS dishwasher. I have owned the unit for quite a while and about 3 to 4 months ago the dishwasher would not turn on at all. It is connected into a GFCI but had not tripped. After resetting the GFCI the unit worked. Over time I would have to “reset” the GFCI multiple times to get power. I thought I had a bad GFCI which I replaced.

It worked perfectly for another 2 to 3 weeks and started exhibiting the same behavior of no power. Last week no matter how many times I reset the GFCI no power. The wires under the unit are nice and snug no issues there. I dropped the main board and saw a steady flashing green light on the board. Turned power off to the unit and removed all plugs from the main control board and reseated everything turned power back on and everything is working again.

I entered the service mode and ran all 5 tests and everything worked well. Question: is there a signal failure between the user interface and the main control board that is causing this intermittent power failure? I’m hoping by reseating the connectors that will take care of it but I’m thinking this is short term as it was previously. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I dropped the main board and saw a steady flashing green light on the board.
How many times in sequence is the STATUS LED on the machine control board flashing in a row? 1x per 3 seconds? 2x per 3 seconds? etc.

This GE dishwasher already has a GFCI built-in to it, so its not a good idea to do double duty GFCI's, you know what I mean? Can you plug the dishwasher into a NORMAL NON-GFCI wall outlet and run some cycles and see how it does?

Jake

gsoublis

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick reply Jake. The status led on the main board blinks once every three seconds. I read in the service manual that the dishwasher is not running a cycle, select a cycle and press start. When I unplugged everything and plugged everything back in is when I got the UI to work.

Unfortunately the house has a GFCI plug for the dishwasher. You say the unit has a built in GFCI is that built into the control board? I have had this unit since 8/2016 and it did not start giving me a problem until 3-4 months ago. I also failed to mention that when it is on it always competes the cycles and sometimes it will work for two three times in a few weeks no problems and then other times I would have to reset GFCI to get everything going.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You say the unit has a built in GFCI is that built into the control board?
Yes, that is correct.

I have had this unit since 8/2016 and it did not start giving me a problem until 3-4 months ago.
Good point! Then it has to be the machine control board that is failing and tripping the CSM for no reason.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model you can order: WD21X24900

Jake

gsoublis

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. Just out of curiosity the GFCI has never once tripped when I have had this failure (just would have to reset multiple times I guess to “trick” the onboard GFCI to reset it sounds like). For the dishwasher to start tripping the CSM could anything else (other than faulty board) be causing the issue? I read somewhere that the heat element could potentially cause the issue? Looking at the service manual shows I need to have 14 ohms of resistance wet and 23.4 ohms of resistance dry. Can I test the resistance of the heating element while in the unit or do I have to remove? Or does this have absolutely nothing to do with the failure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For the dishwasher to start tripping the CSM could anything else (other than faulty board) be causing the issue?
No, because you mentioned all 5 parts activated and worked fine when you had it in SERVICE MODE.:)

If the heating element was bad, it would of tipped the CSM in the SERVICE MODE, you see what I mean?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

gsoublis

Premium Member
Hey Jake had an additional question please. I had the dishwasher working and i was planning on ordering the main board today since it was intermittent on the functionality. Today I tried the dishwasher and it was completely dead and it won’t go into service mode what so ever. Should I check the led light on the main board before ordering the main board? Thank you, George

gsoublis

Premium Member
Hey Jake, checked with the power on so it would give me a true sense of what is going on (seems like when I turn off the power at the box it resets everything). The main board shows a solid green light.

Thank you,
George

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its the machine control board George.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model you can order: WD21X24900

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome George, keep us posted after you replace it.

Jake

gsoublis

Premium Member
Hey Jake. So I replaced the main board and it worked fine the first time and then it died again and we had to reset the GFCI. We reset it 6 times and it finally started again. Is the only other thing that could be wrong the user interface main board in the door?
Thank you,
George

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very strange George.

I don't what else to suggest, unless you plug the dishwasher into a normal outlet and see if it trips the normal breaker. If you have to--->Run a extension cord to a normal outlet just for testing purposes.

Jake

gsoublis

Premium Member
Thank you for the recommendation Jake. Another thing that happened tonight was the dishwasher was off and the door was cracked and sitting down during dinner I heard the dishwasher beep and it turned on. I’m wondering if while we are away something is causing the dishwasher to turn on by itself and possibly tripping the internal GFCI?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BINGO!

That indicates you will need to order and replace the UI Board.

Here's the user interface(UI) Board for your model you can order:
WD21X23461 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember--->You have to set the personality jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it or it will not work, the instructions that came with the new UI Board show you how to do it.:)

Here's the service manual instructions for your exact model:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD

Page 26 Door Removal
Page 28 Separate Door
Page 29 Front Control Console Removal
Page 30 UI Removal

Let us know how it goes.

Jake