• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dishwasher GDT545PSJ6SS beep randomly

DIYN00b

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT545PSJ6SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

About 3 months ago I noticed my GE GDT545PSJ6SS dishwasher was starting to beep randomly when nobody was near it. The beeps happened more and more often until eventually the control panel just stopped working. I looked some stuff up and saw a video on YT showing how to check the light on the machine control board, so I did that, and when I put it back together the dishwasher came back to life unexpectedly.

Then another month or so went by and the control panel had no lights on it again. I did the same thing and it came back to life again.

Then it happened again and it came back to life by flipping the breaker.

Then today it happened a 4th time and it didn't come back to life so easy. The light on the board was strobing rapidly when the control panel was not working. Eventually it did work again but it took a couple tries of disconnecting and reconnecting wires, flipping the breaker, making sure the caps on the green/white/black AC wires were tight, etc. before it came back to life again.

So obviously this is not a sustainable way to keep using my dishwasher and I'm here to fix it since I figure it's only a matter of time until it never turns on again. From reading some other posts, it sounds like it's either the MCB or the UI board might be going bad, but I will defer to the experts here. I have a multimeter coming in two days if I need to use one.

Your help is very much appreciated and I am so thankful to have this forum as a resource!

DIYN00b

Premium Member
I meant to add more descriptive text to the title and I can't edit it myself now. My bad!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I added more to your title.:)

Per your model number, yours uses the square board: WD21X25732

So on the square board(underneath the dishwasher) the flashing light means that machine control board is working and the problem would be the UI Board.

Here's the user interface(UI) Board for your model:
WD21X23461 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember--->You have to set the personality jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it or it will not work, the instructions that came with the new UI Board show you how to do it.:)

Here's the service manual instructions for your exact model:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD

Page 26 Door Removal
Page 28 Separate Door
Page 29 Front Control Console Removal
Page 30 UI Removal

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

DIYN00b

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick response. I have a question before I order the UI board. In the service manual you linked, it says this about the flashing light:

Flashing rapidly (4x per second): Software error, replace MC.

Wouldn’t that indicate the board with the light flashing (MCB) is what needs to be replaced?

I can upload a video of what the flashing light looked like if that helps at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Flashing rapidly (4x per second): Software error, replace MC.

Wouldn’t that indicate the board with the light flashing (MCB) is what needs to be replaced?
No, that's for the older machine control board, not yours.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.