• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dishwasher GDT580SSF0SS Not Draining

AJS_Detroit

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT580SSF0SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

Our GDT580SSF0SS stopped draining and is leaking water onto the floor.

There was a large amount of hardened fat inside the float switch but removing that did not resolve the issue.
I pulled the unit out, turned it over then completely removed the drainage hose and ran water through it without issue.

I put the unit back together (no extra mystery screws when I was done either) and put it into diagnostic mode.

Test 1 is the drain pump on this model (one flash) but I needed to run test 2 to fill the tub. After letting it fill completely I ran the drain pump test but it only flled the hose horizontally and wont overcome the head pressure to drive the water out to the disposal unit. So that's 99% a bad pump right? If the water is getting through it but not going anywhere that's the problem.

Should I bother taking the pump off and testing the continuity on the motor or just move on?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the drain hose from the garbage disposal and get a bucket and put the drain hose in the bucket and start the drain cycle and see if the water flows into the bucket with lots of force.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes next you will need to remove the drain motor and see if something is jamming up the drain pump impeller keeping it from running.

This video gives you the general idea of how to do that:

If nothing is jamming up the impeller inside it, then what I do is check for 120 volts to it when it should be running. Just disconnect the electrical connector going to it and put your meter probes in each wire and see if you get 120 volts when it should be running, if you get 120 volts and its not running, then its bad.

Here it is for your model you can order, if needed:
Drain Pump WD49X23782

Let us know what you find.

Jake