• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher GDT645SYN0FS - Drains, but pump keeps running ( intermittently )

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmcwilliams

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT645SYN0FS
Brand
GE
The dishwasher was working fine ( when it works ). It started to finish prematurely ( without the white lite to indicate successful completion ). Here is what I have observed. The unit drains, but the pump keeps running, until it errors out. This does not happen all the time. Today for instance I ran it through service mode and it worked great, did a cycle ( empty ) and a about 45 min's in it failed after draining the water out.

I re-entered service mode, and did test 1 ( empty unit ) - and it just ran while it was dry ). I filled it - test 2, and it filled fine, then went back to test 1 and it worked successfully. It seems to me that there is some sensor that is not recognizing when the tub is empty.

This model does not have a flood sensor - so I assume its the turbidity sensor? Its working....sometimes, so is it possible it just needs cleaned? if so - how? I have run the unit with soap empty through a cycle or two. I have also run a cycle through with a vinegar solution.

Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The pressure sensor monitors the water level, remove the pressure sensor and see if something is semi-clogging it.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15CmFe-hcufL5XUJPsqlEN3AzwDZ6z0M-/view?usp=sharing Its on Page 50

Here's the pressure sensor for your model:

Watch this video to access it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jonmcwilliams

Premium Member
Thanks,
I'll give that a try - although the unit fills flawlessly - it seems that when its time to empty the tub, it drains, and doesn't realize nothing is left to drain.
Based on what I read, I have ordered the turbidity sensor, and its due to arrive next week. I'll let you know how it goes either way!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Page 65 in the service manual tells you how to test the Turbidity Sensor and thermistor, but if that's bad, that will usually not tell the drain pump to keep running.

Turbidity Sensor Diagnostics
--->If the turbidity sensor fails open or shorted, the control will default to the maximum fills and circulation time that the control is programmed for.
--->Use Consumer Error Mode to look for Turbidity Sensor Faults.

Here's the Turbidity Sensor for your model:
Turbidity Sensor WD21X22830

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

jonmcwilliams

Premium Member
You nailed it Jake. I pulled the pressure sensor tonight and sure enough there was some black nastiness inside. I cleaned it and the machine is working like a champ!! Thanks for the help, you have no idea how frustrated i was and how upset i was with my GE dishwasher. Thanks again!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jon, glad to hear that's all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.