• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher GDT655SSJ0SS: Needing breaker reset often

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoe99

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Hello,
I have a 5 year old GE GDT655SSJ0SS dishwasher. A couple of years ago I replaced the Electronic Control Board WD21X24901 as the person who took a look said that it might be gone. Last few months, I have been getting beeps when the dishwasher is not running and every so often, I get no lights or any thing lit up when I open the dishwasher. Then I have to unplug the power cable, sometimes turn the main breaker off and on a few times, and then somehow it turns on. I wanted to check if this is the control board failing again or if it is related to the any other part/board. Do let me know what you think.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, What we do is--->Check the machine control board STATUS LED first(its located underneath the front on the dishwasher). Tell us how many times its flashing in a row, or if its STEADY ON or STEADY OFF.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model: WD21X24901 Machine Control

To view the STATUS LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher. You DO NOT have remove the control board from its metal casing when you view the STATUS LED.

GE control 2 (1).jpg

When you have that panel lowered down turn the breaker back ON to your dishwasher. When viewing it leave all the electrical connectors to it plugged in.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
The status LED is flashing steadily in a row. On an average it is flashing 10 times every 25 secs.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it, thanks!

The random beeping when no one is around the dishwasher and when the dishwasher is not in use is always caused by a bad UI Board.

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember to set the jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it. The instructions always come with the new UI Board and shows you how to set the jumpers.

--->If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Here's the service manual instructions to replace the UI Board for your exact model below, in case you need it:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7

Page 28 Door Removal
Page 30 Separate Door
Page 31 Front Control Console Removal
Page 32 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the input and instructions. So it looks like the control board is working fine and have to replace the UI board right? No other tests for the machine control board?

I will order the UI board and let you know after I replace it.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is exactly correct for both questions.:)

You need to replace the UI Board and no other tests can be done for the machine control board.

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Jake,
thanks for the update. I have ordered the UI Board. Will let you know once I have installed it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Jake, I did get the part and set the jumpers. But based on the instructions for removing the door, it was a little hard to follow along the pdf you linked to. The attached picture is how my dishwasher is set up. Will I be able to pull the door off by itself. Am not able to locate the door balance cable.

16A89B46-E1D3-4FDC-9E5D-A37D62AA3372.jpeg
77150F32-C2DB-471F-942C-DAE65A1F3BD3.jpeg

Last edited:

jdoe99

Premium Member
Jake,
For step 5 on page 29, should I have the door open while I lift the cable up? steps 5-8 are where I am getting confused.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, the door should be closed or just slightly ajar when you lift the cable up off the door hinges.

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Will I need to pull out the dishwasher? I could only see videos where they were disconnecting the water pipe, etc and then pulling the dishwasher out. Trying to see if that can be avoided.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you just need to pull the dishwasher out a little bit to do it.

Yes, check to make sure you have a little slack in your water line hose and electrical and drain hose before you pull it out a little.

Jake

dbowman

Premium Member
I had the same problem as the person above about 90 days ago. The dishwasher (GDT655SSJ0SS) was randomly beeping until one day it wouldnt power up. I tried all the resets and nothing worked. Confirmed no power supply issues. I ordered a replacement control board, installed it, and it worked fine until a few days ago when the random beeping returned and now it wont power up at all. This time I pulled down the control board and plugged the power back in. The status LED light is solid green. Do I need to order another control board or does that status light mean the board is ok?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Like I mentioned above:
The random beeping when no one is around the dishwasher and when the dishwasher is not in use is always caused by a bad UI Board. Also when the machine control board(underneath the dishwasher) STATUS LED is STEADY ON that also indicates the UI Board is bad.

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember to set the jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it. The instructions always come with the new UI Board and shows you how to set the jumpers.

--->If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Here's the service manual instructions to replace the UI Board for your exact model below, in case you need it:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7

Page 28 Door Removal
Page 30 Separate Door
Page 32 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jdoe99

Premium Member
Jake,
Like you said, there was enough slack to pull it out without disconnecting anything. I was able to replace the ui board. It’s all working fine now. Thanks a lot for helping with the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @jdoe99 glad to hear the new UI Board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

dbowman

Premium Member
Yes, Like I mentioned above:
The random beeping when no one is around the dishwasher and when the dishwasher is not in use is always caused by a bad UI Board. Also when the machine control board(underneath the dishwasher) STATUS LED is STEADY ON that also indicates the UI Board is bad.

Page 28 Door Removal
Page 30 Separate Door
Page 32 UI Removal

Let us know how it goes.

Jake
Thanks for all the great information, Jake. After reading your comment about the solid green light on the control board (which I mis-accused as the problem and replaced 90 days ago) I confirmed there was power running through the UI cable set and then went ahead and purchased a replacement UI board. I had already done some research about the UI board and the personality jumpers and your advice about them got me really interested in how they work (and got me thinking about what a dishwasher might act like if the jumpers were put in an incorrect order). Well, once I took the dishwasher out, disconnected everything, removed the door, and extracted the ORIGINAL UI board guess what I found? No jumpers at all, nor any jumper posts (photo attached). Funny how the lack of personality jumpers caused it to act in such strange ways (random beeping, etc). New UI board is in with jumpers set to my model number and the dishwasher is working perfectly again. Learned a lot! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. Next stop? A conversation with GE customer relations to determine how my “high end”, 4 year old, GE Profile dishwasher came shipped without those jumpers.

Attachments

• 7929265C-1264-4F93-B264-88F4420291C8.jpeg
    7929265C-1264-4F93-B264-88F4420291C8.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 54

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, once I took the dishwasher out, disconnected everything, removed the door, and extracted the ORIGINAL UI board guess what I found? No jumpers at all, nor any jumper posts (photo attached). Funny how the lack of personality jumpers caused it to act in such strange ways (random beeping, etc). New UI board is in with jumpers set to my model number and the dishwasher is working perfectly again. Learned a lot!
Excellent @dbowman , good find.(y)

Yes, the new replacement UI Board should always should come with jumpers and instructions to set them.:)

Actually when GE dishwashers come out of the factory none have jumpers, just the new replacement UI Board will have jumpers.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.