• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher GDT655SSJ0SS randomly beep increased in frequency until it finally just (died)

Simplemann

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Hello, Ive seen other threads on the same dishwasher with similar issues, so Ive been trying to diagnose the problem. Dishwasher started to randomly beep and increased in frequency until it finally just (died) no power at all to it.

I tried to unplug hoping it would reboot itself, but that didn't work, then all of a sudden a couple of weeks pass and it decides to turn back on???? I've done the recommended tests: Unplugged the dishwasher for 5 minutes have a visual on the Machine Control Board service LED.

I plugged the dishwasher back in and it Blinks 1X continuously. I selected a cycle and press start and LED Blinks 3X and then I noticed the Turbidity Sensor goes from green to shutting off. LED comes on which appears to be either solid and then very quickly the Turbidity Sensor turns back on, the LED Blinks 2X and within a second goes back to Blinking 3x. It just continues this same pattern until I cancel the cycle, and then it goes back to blinking 1X.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The random beeping when no one is around the dishwasher and when the dishwasher is not in use is always caused by a bad UI Board.

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Remember to set the jumpers on the new UI Board before you install it. The instructions always come with the new UI Board and shows you how to set the jumpers.

--->If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Here's the service manual instructions to replace the UI Board for your exact model below, in case you need it:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7

Page 28 Door Removal
Page 30 Separate Door
Page 31 Front Control Console Removal
Page 32 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Simplemann

Premium Member
Jake thank you for your recommendation. Im going to run the dishwasher a couple of times to see if it will complete a cleaning cycle. Ive had electrical issues with a GE Range and microwave in the past and they both self corrected themselves so I guess Im hoping the dishwasher will do the same, but Im not betting on it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Simplemann

Premium Member
I finally have the time to replace the UI control board and I can't get the door off. I removed the door balance cables and then following the instructions on removing the door "open the door a few inches and lift the door and hinge arms off of the offset leg" the left side is complying but the right side just refuses to lift off? It sounds like its hitting something. Well good thing I didn't order the part yet...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may have to pull the dishwasher out a little bit first.

But those instructions are the exact same ones for your model.

If you still can't get it off, contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out and do it for you. Or have a friend or family member that is good with do-it-yourself jobs come help you.

Jake

Simplemann

Premium Member
Jakes, thanks for the response and the recommendation. I pulled the dishwasher out its sounds like its hitting something within the dishwasher itself. I consider myself a handy do-it-yourselfer I"ll try and figure it out somehow.

UpDate: I got it off but it took some muscle, I had to tap it on the bottom right side to get it to come off, unlike the left side that came off very easily. Anyway moving on to the next step.

Last edited:

Simplemann

Premium Member
I got the UI board out and plan on ordering the new board per your recommendation. Ive see where you have to use jumpers on the new board. Im just curious is this an upgrade to the old one?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the new UI Board will come with instructions on how to set the personality jumpers per your model number.

The original UI Board does not have jumpers, so don't let that fool you.:)

Jake

Simplemann

Premium Member
Update: I received the new UI Board (very fast delivery) did the jumper settings per the instructions and the then put everything back together which went together nicely. I conducted an error code test to make sure there were no error codes, everything checked out OK. I will update in the next couple of days to report if what happens after we live and do a couple of cleaning cycles.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake

Simplemann

Premium Member
Update: its been a week of living with the new UI Board installed. The random beeping has stopped (y) We have used the dishwasher three times with
different setting modes and everything checked out(y).
I would like to thank Jake for his assistance. I also would like to encourage anyone who is reading this and feels that they have benefited some how to make donation to the site anything is better than nothing. Thank you again and hopefully the repairs lasts a good while ✝️.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Simplemann, glad to hear its doing great since replacing the UI Board.(y)

Thanks for your nice compliments.:)

Jake