• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE DISHWASHER GDT655SSJ0SS Turns off after a few minutes. No lights, no beeps, buttons unresponsive unless I enter error code mode.

bluemagoo42

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
So my dishwasher will run for 5 - 10 minutes. It then just turns off and makes no sounds. I've held the cycle select + start to get to the diagnostic mode, it has no errors as far as I can tell (only the lock light is on). If I run the tests it has by holding cycle select + start again, they seem to all work. I pulled the panel out at the bottom to look at the LED and it is blinking 1 time every 3 seconds, indicating its still in a cycle? Anyway, I'm at a loss to why it keeps shutting off. Also once this happens I can't run it normally again, buttons don't do anything except if I use cycle select + start. Any insight appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Yes, the problem is the lower machine control board.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model you can order: WD21X24901 Machine Control

Jake

bluemagoo42

Premium Member
Afraid this didn't fix my issue. Replaced my board with the WD21X24901, and it still just shows the amber 'working' light for a few moments, I hear some clicks, and then it turns off. Have to go through the debugging 815 interface to get it to let me try running it again. I can run all the diagnostic tests still (drain, fill, spin, soap, etc). Are there any jumpers on the board that I need to set for my specific dishwasher model? Is there a fuse somewhere in the dishwasher I should check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are there any jumpers on the board that I need to set for my specific dishwasher model?
No, not on this machine control board.

Did you buy it from my link to it above at AppliancePartsPros?

Disconnect power to the dishwasher for 5 minutes, then lower down the machine control board to view it, restore power and view the STATUS LED on the machine control board and see if its STEADY ON or STEADY OFF or blinking a pattern.

D-GE control board status led.jpg

Jake

bluemagoo42

Premium Member
Jake, sorry for the long delay. The board is the one you linked me yes. I have now replaced the SVC UI Top logic board too, based on a repair person's suggestion. This got me further, now the unit will run for a while - but still just shuts off at some point. Now the STATUS LED is blinking 7 times, which the manual claims is the Current Sense Module triggering (CSM). I tried clearing it and running again, but the same thing happens. Any idea where I might look for a leak / grounding issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Get a flashlight and remove the bottom access panel and look for a water leak while the dishwasher is running.

CSM (Current Sense Module) Introduction: A CSM is a protective device that is located on the main control of GE Dishwashers. This device is designed to trip if current leakage to ground is above 20mA ± 5mA if detected. The CSM functions similar
to commercially available GFCIs, if tripped the dishwasher will be non responsive. CSM details are found in the On the Main Control Board CSM section in this service guide.
NOTE: The dishwasher MUST be grounded and never operated without a ground connection.

Look at the photo below, see the green ground wire with the yellow wire nut on it, remove that wire nut and disconnect it. I had one do this in FEB. 2020. The green ground wire from the customers house was showing .05 volts, that was enough to make the dishwasher TRIP the CSM and not run. I removed the green ground wire(FOR TESTING PURPOSES) and it ran 5 cycles in a row perfectly. I then told the customer to have a ELECTRICIAN come out to see why he's getting voltage on the green ground wire, because you should NOT be getting voltage on the green ground wire.

J722.jpeg

A couple other members had this problem too:

Jake

bluemagoo42

Premium Member
Was certainly worth a shot, but multimeter didn't detect a voltage from the ground. Disconnecting the ground also didn't fix the problem, it still turns off after a few seconds when I try to run a cycle. What's really weird is, while I had everything open and hanging out I got it to run 2 full cycles without issue yesterday. After I closed everything up, back to square one. I think I'm done with this dishwasher, I'm guessing it has a short somewhere but I don't have the time to take the whole thing out and chase all the wiring harnesses. Since the motor and all the other parts appear to work, perhaps I can get someone to buy it cheap for parts and just get a new one.

Thanks again for the help, if you have a brand of dishwasher you know to be more reliable than most I'm all ears!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't blame you. These GE dishwashers have been problematic for a couple years now.

The most reliable dishwasher is the one I own, that's in my Kitchen now--->Maytag

Jake