• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dishwasher GDT680SSH6SS won't run any cycles

EmilyN

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT680SSH6SS
Brand
GE
Hi, my GE dishwasher stopped working, with no lights on the control panel. In error mode, there are no error codes. In service mode, I was able to run all the tests (fill, circulation, heater, detergent, & drain) and all the functions worked. When I exit service mode, I can choose a cycle and the other options on the control panel, but after pressing start and closing the door, the dishwasher just makes a couple clicking sounds and nothing else happens. Then, when I open the door, there are no lights again on the control panel. The service LED flashes 7 times. I replaced the control board, but when I tried to start a cycle, it just clicked and then the lights went out as before. I'd appreciate any advice on next steps.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Emily,

Ok, if its blinking 7 times that means the CSM is tripped.

I located a service bulletin on your model for this problem, but we need the serial number of your dishwasher to verify it. The serial number is located on your model number tag inside the door on the tub frame.

CSM (Current Sense Module) Causes No Operation or Dead Condition Dishwasher--->A heating element or random non dishwasher faults may cause the CSM to trip and render a dishwasher in a no operation or dead state.

Jake

EmilyN

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply! The serial # is MF762082B.
Not sure if this is relevant regarding the possibility of a heating element fault, but when I ran through the tests in service mode, the heating element worked and I was able to run the next test in the series.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Per your serial number your dishwasher was made in July 2015. So yours does fall in range of the service bulletin--->(May 2015 April 2018).

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element WD05X24776

There is a video in the heating element part link that shows you how to replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just ran through the tests again and now the circulation pump test isn't working.
Tell me what the STATUS LED is doing NOW on the machine control board, STEADY ON, STEADY OFF, or BLINKING a pattern.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To reset the CSM.
Entering Service Mode will reset the CSM.
To enter Service Mode :
1. First enter Consumer Error mode. After the ten (10) second door check has completed, continue to next step.
2. Enter Service mode (while in Consumer Error Mode), by pressing and holding the Select Cycle button for five (5) seconds.

Enter Consumer Error Mode:
Press the Select Cycle and Start buttons at the same time for Five (5) seconds. If the control responds with LED’s or Display coming on, The CSM is tripped.

Jake

EmilyN

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks again for your help! When I run the circulation test in service mode, the status led flashes 3x (in process of running a cycle). After that test yesterday, I didn't do anything else & service mode timed out. When I opened the door today, the control panel was working normally and the status led was flashing 1x. I selected a delayed start and the led then was correctly flashing 2x. I then held the start button to reset the cycle options, selected a non-delay cycle, and then the dishwasher seemed to start normally (1st time it's done so since the problem started), with the led correctly flashing 3x.

After filling and then circulating very briefly, it stopped making any sounds, and the led was still flashing 3x. I opened the door and it beeped as usual when opened during a cycle. I pressed start again and closed the door, and then it only made a few clicking sounds and then the led flashed 7x again. I ran through the service mode tests again and all functions worked again except the circulation. I wrote down the led patterns for each; just let me know if that info would help.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

EmilyN

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Most of the time after resetting the CSM, exiting service mode, selecting a cycle, and trying to start it, the dishwasher just clicks, doesn't even start to fill, and the led flashes 7x again. In those cases, does it seem likely that something else is tripping the CSM (since it's happening before the wash motor would have started)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but you said when you do the diagnostics it will fill, so that tells me nothing is wrong with it filling, I'm I correct on that?

You also said it did not trip the CSM in your 1st diagnostic test, but then it did on your 2nd diagnostic test when the wash(circulation motor) activated.

So it seems to me you may have received a defective control board, where did you get it at?

Here's the machine control board for your model:

Jake

EmilyN

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks and yes, when I run the tests, filling always works (as long as it's not already filled). As for the CSM tripping, that has happened every time I tried to start a cycle after exiting service mode except for the one time I set a delayed start, then canceled it and selected a normal non-delay cycle and then it filled and briefly circulated and then the CSM tripped. The rest of the times I tried starting it after exiting service mode, it just clicked a few times and then the CSM tripped. When the dishwasher first "died" and I ran through the tests the first time, all of them worked (including circulation). The inconsistency is what's so confusing to me. Would more than one part have failed at once? Are they taking turns not working? ;) I purchased the new control board from repairclinic.
I scheduled service before finding this forum, but the very experienced and highly recommended tech canceled after checking the model/year and said he doesn't work on them anymore because it ends up being one part after another. What do you think? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the old control board doing anything different AT ALL from the new control board?

If not, then disconnect power to the dishwasher and remove both heating element terminal connectors from the heating element, then restore power to the dishwasher, then run a cycle and see if it runs through fine.

Make sure the CSM is NOT tripped before you do that.:)

Jake

EmilyN

Premium Member
I don't think the old one was doing anything differently than the new, so I'll try this. When I disconnect the terminal connectors, is it ok to leave them loose as I proceed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just leave them loose, don't let them touch anything else.

Jake

EmilyN

Premium Member
I've decided to throw in the towel and replace this dishwasher. I was able to get it to run through a full cycle without tripping the CSM after disconnecting the heating element terminals, but the circulation never kicked on. For the heck of it, I tried again with the terminals reconnected and the cycle also ran (still no circulation) until I opened the door, then it tripped the CSM when I tried to resume the cycle. Tried again without interrupting the cycle and it ran all the way to the end of the cycle, including playing the little melody that indicates it's finished, but the CSM then tripped immediately afterward. When I checked for error codes, 2 LEDs were lit that weren't even in the list of error codes. I then went into service mode and it was tripping the CSM before I'd even run any of the diagnostic tests. With all the inconsistency, I decided to just order a Bosch. Thanks anyway for all your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Emily, sounds good, Yes I agree something was very strange about your GE dishwasher, I have never seen any do what yours was doing before.

Thanks for the update!

Jake