• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher GDT695SFL5DS No Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT695SFL5DS
Brand
GE
I have a barely used GE dishwasher with a dead display. Model Number is GDT695SFL5DS. A few weeks ago when I ran it I noticed that at the end of the cycle the Green "clean" light was not on, but did not think much of it as we were in a hurry to leave.
Yesterday I went to use it and it looked completely dead. No response from the buttons, no lights. Thinking it had crashed, I power cycled it and checked the 110VAC power connection under the kick panel. I also removed and re-plugged the door connector that apparently goes to the main board. No joy.

What is the best way to identify the bad component(s)? Troubleshooting steps? Any repair manuals out there?

Thanks, Tim

EDIT: Not trying to get into worse trouble on this machine, but what is the function of the ethernet connector on the bottom of the main board?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tim,

Your model has the newer square control board, its located under the dishwasher towards the front right side. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Here's the newer square control board for your model:

The newer square control board on your model has a steady flash pattern on the service LED and only indicates the dishwasher has power and DC voltage is being produced by the control .

On the newer square control board you have, Look for the--->Service LED – There is a green LED on the control board that indicates the status of the control board. See if that green LED is flashing or STEADY OFF.

Here's the instructions to access it:

squareboard.png

Jake

Attachments

• 31-30898 GE Dishwasher Mini Manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 128

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Thanks, so from the parts link you gave me it looks like this board is on it's third version!
I will pull the board out in the next day or so when I am back at the house and report back. From your post, it appears there are no real diagnostics available from the led pattern?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
From your post, it appears there are no real diagnostics available from the led pattern?
Nope, not on the square control boards.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Solved!

I feel foolish but Problem solved! As in the Cal.50 M2 when it would not fire correctly, it was a headspace problem. There was a “headspace“ on the 120VAC mains to the machine's wires connection. 😚.

Today when I got to the house I tried the troubleshooting in the manual. Pressing cycle select and start for 10 seconds did not light up the display. So next step was to remove the power inlet box cover to get to the control board. Just on a hunch I checked the power connection again. When the problem first started I had tugged on the power wires under the wire nuts in this box earlier and they seemed tight. This time just to be methodical and make sure power was available, I took nuts off and connected Fluke with alligator clips acting as wire nuts to verify power to the machine. Display came on!!! Retrimmed the stranded wire and replaced nuts and still had a display. The stranded wire must have curled back when the tradesman made the connection 2 years ago and finally separated.

It is it is now cleaning the 1week old plates.

Many thanks for the data sheet. And keep up the good work helping us poor souls avoid Assurion.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Tim, glad you found that was the only problem.(y)

Thanks for the update!

ALMOST forgot, the ethernet port is for trained authorized GE techs only, they have a $5000 GE diagnostic laptop that GE gives them that plugs into that ethernet port to troubleshoot it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have no clue if its TCP/IP LAN or SERIAL type. Hopefully a GE tech that reads your post and has that $5000 GE diagnostic laptop can tell us.:)

Jake

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
We are back in the house again with the "no power" dishwasher. After doing a load on Auto Sense, heated dry off, both zones selected, I see no "clean" indicator after cycle finished and the indicator on the door is dark. The dishwasher started with a 4 hour delay, ran the 120 minute cycle and then sat undisturbed for another hour or so.

I seem to remember that the clean indicators used to come on. Am I imagining this?

Any thoughts?

The dishwasher had been power cycled before I started the cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I don't know Tim.

Something very odd is going on with yours, its best to contact GE to come out with that $5000 GE diagnostic laptop to see what's going on.

Jake

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Back at it again.
I went to start the dishwasher the other night and I was dead again. Power turned off and back under it. No loose wires this time. Wiggled the wires, reapplied power and it started.

one thing I just realized was that it is “binging” randomly like the door is being opened. Also the display seems to turn on after it “bings”.

Reading many other posts here, this seems to indicate the UI board is going bad. Correct?

Any link to this part? And instruction how to replace it?

While I have it apart, I also need to replace the outside plastic trim as it is broken on the corner. Any link to this part and a howto?
DDF493CF-2DD1-424F-82B7-5063025731D0.jpeg
093097F6-F34B-49E6-A116-5836E0D0FAC7.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Tim, you are correct. You will need to replace the UI Board.

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

To replace it--->You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7

Page 28 Door Removal
Page 30 Separate Door
Page 31 Front Control Console Removal
Page 32 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tim, sounds good.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Tim, do you have a update for your dishwasher?

Jake

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Very timely request... I just came back to the house with the dishwasher and FexEx left the parts earlier this afternoon. After we put out a few Christmas decorations tomorrow, the door comes off and I will put the board in. I have preset the jumpers already! 😉 .

The top trim panel looks a little more involved but it should be doable..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great Tim, let us know how it goes!

Jake

Tim_in-Delaware

Premium Member
Great news to report!
The new board and top trim piece are installed and a quick wash ran successfully. The cycle completed and the "clean" indicator on the light bar and the green door light came on at the end of the cycle. The new board has white LEDs for the time remaining but that is just a FIY for anyone doing this in the future. The old one had green time remaining, I believe.

The job was not too difficult once I got a block of time to tackle it. Total time from turning off power to putting door back on about 1 hour. The manual Jake linked to me was perfect, as well as Jake's remote diagnosing of the trouble and suggesting the parts needed. I did have one minor difficulty separating the door panels since initially I removed the wrong pair of 1/4" screws by the hinge bracket. But before beating it with a hammer, rereading the manual solved every thing.

The total job took probably 2-1/2 hours as I spent some time realigning and leveling the unit in the cabinet and correcting the location of the sound adsorption insulation in the kick plate. When it was glued on in the factory, they managed to attach it diagonally to the panel. The closed door is now flush with the cabinet doors and the unit is plumb.

One thing I could not do was to get a better rolling transition on the bottom rack between the tub and the door. Currently the door is about 3/16" higher than the tub and the rack, when full of plates, needs to be pulled pretty hard to get it out to load dishes. My daughter has one almost like mine, and her rack glided in/ out smoothly. I need to lower the door a bit relative to the tub. While I had it apart I looked for any adjustments but the only one that could have helped was spot welded to the tub body. It is a minor inconvenience that I will learn to live with.
Thanks again,Jake, for your expert advice.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.