• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Dishwasher PDT715SMN0ES error H2O

phaasbando10

Premium Member
Model Number
PDT715SMN0ES
Brand
GE
Just replaced the control board on my GE dishwasher after advice here on the forum. Control board replacement seemed to fix the problem, and the dishwasher ran 2 full cycles without issue. Last night it failed to run and displays an H20 error. Manually added water and it is now running. Water supply valve is completely on, and inlet valve filter was recently inspected for debris and tested for resistance.

phaasbando10

Premium Member
One last update: (Sorry getting info from the wife while I'm at work)
There was a pinched hose, pinch was cleared, dishwasher filled but continued to run H2O error. Water was added manually, it ran for 10 minutes, then stopped. Now the dishwasher starts a cycle and then resets 2-3 minutes in. When it resets the timer returns to the beginning of the cycle, and the "washing" light turns off, but the drain pump continues to run even after water is drained and the door is opened.

Could the legitimate tripping of the H2O sensor have caused an error that isn't clearing from the board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is what it says in your tech. data sheet:
No Water Detected
In the event the internal water level does not change, the cycle will be cancelled and the user interface will display the following:
Models with SSD screens: H20 will be displayed on the SSD screen.
Models without SSD screens: Wash Temp LED will blink continuously.
Please verify the water supply line is connected properly, the supply line valve is turned on, and restart the cycle.

Did you restart the cycle?

Also, you can try to turn the breaker off to the dishwasher for 30 minutes and start a new cycle and see if that clears the error code.

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
Cleared code by entering service Mode and cycle ran successfully. It later ran the same H20 error, we repeated the process and it ran the cycle. Other than the recurring error it seems to run fine. After a thorough cleaning, we can see a green light shining under the filter housing. Is that normal and we just haven't noticed before?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
we can see a green light shining under the filter housing. Is that normal and we just haven't noticed before?
I have no idea what green light under the filter housing your referring too, take a photo of it and upload it here so I can see it.

As for the H2O error continuing to happen, I would double check the water supply line hose again, and replace it if needed, since your wife already found one kink in it, there is probably another one where you can't see it.

We recommend getting the kink-less stainless steel braided water supply hose, any hardware store sells them. ACE, LOWE'S, HOME DEPOT.

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
Ran 2-3 successful cycles with no H20 errors, but now machine is cancelling cycle after 2 minutes. The drain pump continues to run even after the cycle is cancelled, the door opened, and the water drained. Unplugged from power supply to see if this resets the machine. Waiting for results.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The drain pump continues to run even after the cycle is cancelled, the door opened
With the door opened?

With nothing in the dishwasher--->Try to start a cycle with the door open and see if it starts filling with water while the door is open.

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
It will not start the cycle with the door open. The drain pump does not start either. Once the door is closed the cycle starts with the drain pump and no water then stops after 2 minutes. At that point the drain pump will continue running even after the cycle resets and the door is open.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This doesn't make sense to me, I have no clue what's going on. Its best to have GE come out to see what's going on.

I've replaced many of these exact same control boards and they have always fixed it, with none of these oddities your experiencing happening.

It almost sounds like the control board you installed is defective, it wasn't doing of these things before you replaced the control board, correct?

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
Actually it was doing the exact same things before I replaced the control board, but with one difference- now it will fill with water when testing. Go figure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have a HIGH DRAIN HOSE LOOP under the sink before it goes into the garbage disposal or sink plumbing.

Do you have a DRAIN HOSE AIR GAP device under the sink?

Check your drain hose for a high loop in it before it connects to the garbage disposal or sink plumbing.

You can see how it has to loop in Fig 1, Fig 1a, Fig 2 here:

drain-help.jpg

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
I do have a high drain loop, but went ahead and pulled the dishwasher out to check if the drain hose might be blocked somewhere. I did find that the drain hose was looped, taped, and clipped to the left side of the unit- the clip is built into the unit so it seems this is intended. In any case, the whole loop was black inside. I used a drain auger with a small brush to clean out a sizeable amount of debris, and hooked the dishwasher back up without reinstalling the drain hose extension (same length of hose from the drain pump into a high loop and then to the drain). Tried running again after reset... drain pump is still trying to run even though the water inside the filter well is drained at this point as well. I did not see a leak pan under the unit to drain. Any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's all I know to do.

You will need to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out and see what's going on.

GE's techs have a special laptop diagnostic tool they plug into the control board and it will pinpoint the problem right off the bat.

Jake

phaasbando10

Premium Member
Before calling a tech I figured I would take one more look around since I already had the dishwasher pulled out. Glad I did. I found two wire harnesses had pulled loose. One to the drain pump (red circular cap style harness) and one to the heater (the heater has never worked well. There were two harnesses on opposite ends and one was unplugged).

The dishwasher is now running.

So to sum up the saga. In a previous post Jake helped me solve an issue with the control board not sending sufficient voltage to the water inlet valve resulting in no water and cycle failure. The control board was replaced and other than an explainable H20 error, which had to be corrected and cleared a couple times, all was good. Until the unit cycles started failing again with only one difference, the unit would fill with water in service Mode, but the drain pump was constantly on. Last piece of the puzzle- it appears the wire harness to the drain pump was pulled loose, perhaps when I was replacing the control board. The unit may have worked for a short time because the harness was only loose and gradually fell off. Annoying- sure. Plausible- sure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now its all starting to make sense. LOL.

Good good on finding those 2 wire harnesses pulling loose.(y)

Hopefully it will run fine now for many years to come.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries, as long as you found the problem, that's all that matters.:)

Jake