GE dryer drum won’t come out

Izzykreie

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
GE
I’m trying to replace the rear bearing of my dryer but I can’t get the drum to come out. It comes out maybe a quarter of an inch but it will not budge any further. I’m extremely frustrated. I’ve followed the videos accordingly and the belt is off of the pulley, I’m not sure what else I can do. The drum will wiggle side to side if I lift it but it refuses to pull forward like it’s supposed to in all of the videos. Is there a screw or something I need to take out ????

I don’t have the model number. We dont even own the dryer, it’s our landlords, so idk how old it is. It looks old, has a brown control board and seems like it’s at least 15 years old but I’m not sure. It’s a GE dryer

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Izzykreie

Premium Member
Yea I can’t find the model number. I already checked the back, there was no screw or clip:(

Also, i can’t find the model number. Looked all over the dryer. It’s my landlords dryer not my own. I ended up getting the drum out by violently shaking it. The hole in the dryer where the bearing spins is kind of misshapen. Any suggestions?

jeff1

Staff member
The hole in the dryer where the bearing spins is kind of misshapen
Probably why the drum would not pull straight out.

Also, i can’t find the model number
Then we will be guessing on parts.

At a min:

GE Dryer Drum Bearing

Hopefully the hole in the center of the heating eleemnt cage has not been damaged.

jeff.

Izzykreie

Premium Member
That's actually what i was referring to above. I didn’t communicate it very clearly though (sorry). The hole where the bearing spins in the heating element cage is pretty misshapen. I don’t know anything about electric dryers, I’m just an 18 year old girl trying to fix a squeaking noise for my mom. It doesn’t squeak anymore so I guess it’s a win in my book. I replaced the plastic bearing and it’s working fine. I’m assuming since that hole is misshapen that the plastic bearing will probably wear down quicker, but I truly don’t know.

jeff1

Staff member
I’m assuming since that hole is misshapen that the plastic bearing will probably wear down quicker
Yes it will :(

jeff.