• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Dryer won't stay on after turning start button

phowarth

Premium Member
Model Number
GUSR495EBWW
Brand
GE
Hi,

I have a GE Electric Dryer Canadian Model # GUSR495EBWW. When I turn the start knob the blower starts and the drum turns, but once I release the button the dryer shuts off.

I have tried changing all the settings from timed dry to auto with the same result.

I have read some other threads that indicate that it might be a blown cct board.

Does anyone have experience with this model?

Thanks

Paul

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm not able to look-up that model, I don't have access to any diagrams for the Canadian Models.

It may be the board, or the motor out.

Jeff may have a diagram of this model, you can message him, his username is Jeff1.

This may help out too:
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dryers.html

Jake

phowarth

Premium Member
Dryer Schematic

Thanks Jake,

I couldn't find any additional info at the link that you provided. I have attached my schematic from inside the machine. The dryer does have a Dryness Control Board and Buzzer Assembly. Do you think that is my best bet, or is there a capacitor that I should be looking that is part of the motor start-up process?

Cheers,,

Paul

View attachment 263

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, its all in the motor itself, it sounds like the run windings are shot since its not staying on.

Jake

phowarth

Premium Member
Ok, here is the fix.

I ripped it down to test the motor coils which were OK.

I started to trace back from there, and came across the "Idler Spring Switch". The Idler Spring Switch is wired to the "Run" winding of the motor and I'm guessing it stops the motor if the belt breaks.

A quick check with the OHM meter proved the switch was open even with the button pressed down.

I bypassed the switch for now and the dryer is fine. :D

I checked the price for a new one and it is $61.90!!!!! :eek:

At that price I'm pretty sure I'll just let the motor fry when the belt breaks and buy a new dryer. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job in finding that problem Paul!:)

Jake

detroit

I am having the same problem on a model DBXR453GA2WW.

I'm glad to see it can be fixed. However, I don't have a lot of know-how when it comes to these things. For example, I'm not sure how to disconnect the belt from the idler pulley and motor pulley to get the drum off. Actually, I think I can get it off but worry about getting it back on. Bottom line is, can someone like myself fix this or should I get someone who knows what they are doing? Thanks for your help.

Carrie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you've fixed other things around your house, then I would say go for it.:)

Don't worry if you can't, lots of people aren't mechanically inclined, but excel at other things, like lawn & garden, where I'm lucky if I can grow grass and keep it green.:eek:

Jake

shurab5

two heavy books instead

Ok, here is the fix.

I ripped it down to test the motor coils which were OK.

I started to trace back from there, and came across the "Idler Spring Switch". The Idler Spring Switch is wired to the "Run" winding of the motor and I'm guessing it stops the motor if the belt breaks.

A quick check with the OHM meter proved the switch was open even with the button pressed down.

I bypassed the switch for now and the dryer is fine. :D

I checked the price for a new one and it is $61.90!!!!! :eek:

At that price I'm pretty sure I'll just let the motor fry when the belt breaks and buy a new dryer. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Paul
Congrets GE with poor product. The switch in Hotspot worked less then 2 years once a week. I put two heavy books to press the switch on.
Probably GE likes books...