• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Electric Dryer GTX18ESSJ0WW overheats within 2 minutes of being turned on

Richm22

Premium Member
Model Number
GTX18ESSJ0WW
Brand
GE
I have this dryer, it overheats within 2 minutes of being turned on. When it turns off it will not restart for about 3-5 minutes. Then once restarted it works as it should. I took a guess and replaced the cycling thermostat and the high limit thermostat. It does also have a safety thermostat that i did not replace yet. I also removed the exhaust and made sure it was clear. Is there any advice on a way to test before spending any more on guesses? Thanks for any advice.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Richm22 said:
it overheats within 2 minutes of being turned on.
What exactly do you mean by that? Is the exhaust air temperature higher than normal or is the cabinet top getting hot?

If the latter, check your dryer venting all the way from the dryer to the outdoors.

LINK > Dryer Venting Tips

A blocked or partially obstructed vent will reduce air flow causing the cabinet to get hot and would likely trip the safety thermostat as a safety precaution before the dryer catches on fire

Dan O.

Richm22

Premium Member
I mean it thinks its overheating but its not even warm yet. It trips something that makes it shut off for 2-3 minutes. It does the same thing on air fluff. not even using heat. Even with no heat at all it shuts off in under 2 minutes. After it shuts off for the first time its good the second time for as long as its set for

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Richm22 said:
I mean it thinks its overheating but its not even warm yet.
If the dryer is not overheating but just the motor shuts off for some period of time, the motor may be cutting out on its internal overload protector until it resets again after non-use.

Most commonly the motor is defective and needs to be replaced. It probably has bad motor bearings.

LINK > GE GTX18ESSJ0WW Dryer Motor

It's a very common failure on dryers of all makes unfortunately.

Dan O.

Richm22

Premium Member
ok. After it shuts off if you listen there is a click inside the dryer that sounds like a switch or relay. Once it clicks it restarts and will run its cycle

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Try to isolate where the sound is coming from and report back.

Dan O