• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE freezer back covered in frost

dmw11369

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25LSMFBS
Brand
GE
My GE freezer keeps having the same issue. I've tried both suggestions from this forum. I have replaced both the defrost heater as well the thermostat control. When I take the back cover off the coils are covered in ice. I've done this 3 times now defrosting then replacing....It works for about 2 weeks then frosts/freezes back up? The refrigerator side seems to get a bit less cold as well.....I'm a single mom and determined to get this thing working on my own without having to call the GE service man who's prices are outrageous!!!!! Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! BTW love this forum....Thanks so much....

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

When I take the back cover off the coils are covered in ice

Ice or frost?
All over the whole evaporator?

I have replaced both the defrost heater as well the thermostat control

If the defrost thermostat/disc and heater are ok, leaves the sensor and board to replace...

Thermistor-WR55X10025-00855830.jpg LINK> Temperature sensor (thermistor)

Main-Control-Board-WR55X10942-01091475.jpg LINK> Main control board assembly with installation instructions

jeff.

dmw11369

Premium Member
Maybe time to call in the pro's????

Ice seems to cover the entire back of the coils. Sorry not sure if that's technically called the evaporator! So I need to replace "BOTH" the sensor and board? Honestly what is the difficulty level of the board????? Hum.... not sure if that's something a little out of my reach? Thanks so much for your help!

jeff1

Staff member
Ice seems to cover the entire back of the coils

Ice is more clear and often indicates a defrost cycle has occurred but the water has not run away.....frost is more white like snow and that indicates a defrost cycle problem.

So I need to replace "BOTH" the sensor and board?

That is the best repair yes = less problems afterwards.

jeff.

dmw11369

Premium Member
Why wouldzer. Frost is what is the water not run away?

Hi Jeff-
It is in fact ice that covers the back coils when I take the white cover off of the back of the freezer. Frost is what is covers the outside cover. By cover I mean the white plastic back of the freezer. Just want to be sure I cover all possibilities before I purchase the motherboard??

Thanks so much!

jeff1

Staff member
Take a picture and post it here.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member