GE French Door keeps forming ice in bottom of refrigerator compartment

arplowboy

Model Number
GFSS6KKYCSS
Brand
GE
Model number is GFSS6KKYCSS, the serial number is DT900070.

It keeps forming an ice sheet on the bottom of the refrigerator compartment, it will build up until it starts to interfere with the movement of the lunch meat tray and we have to remove the tray and pry the ice out.

We've tried emptying it, and leaving it unplugged for a couple of days to see if they drain tube was frozen, but the issue persists. We were wondering if we let it sit long enough. We recently went on vacation, so we emptied the fridge and left it unplugged for seven days. Same issue.

Repairman has been out before, thawed drain tube out with hair dryer, appeared to fix for a little while. I'll watch the how-to and see if I can blow the tube out to clear any blockages. While I am willing to try the Captain Obvious route, I'm wondering if there is something else going on with the fridge.

From my understanding, the way the error codes are displayed on this model/series are on the front panel display via the two temperature displays. The left temp is for the freezer, the right is for the fridge. When it is displaying the error data, everything is lit up solid on the left display. On the right display, the top segment of the left digit is flashing, everything else is solid green.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, I'd blow out the drain line, you may have a partial clog further down it. Then pour a little bit of bleach down that drain hole.

Rick posted the error code chart for your model in post #6 here:

Jake

arplowboy

Thank you Jake, appreciate the response. Based on the error codes linked above, the fridge is having a "Pantry Damper Heater Error". I don't think that error matches the symptoms.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree, I don't know why its doing that, never seen that before.

Hopefully another tech that has seen this error code mismatch problem can shed some light on it for us.

Jake