• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE Fridge and Freezer not cooling GFE29HSDASS

rmdaddy1

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE29HSDASS
Brand
GE
This refrigerator has a evaporator for the freezer and one for the fridge. My problem started when I noticed the freezer getting warm. I couple days later both fridge and freezer failed. I ordered and installed a new freezer evaporator fan motor but nothing changed, both fridge and freezer remined warm.

I installed a piecing valve on the suction side of the compressor and I attached my gauge set. A negative pressure was observed on the gauge and so I recharged the system with R-134a freon. The fridge started cooling again but the the freezer remained at 71 degs F.

A couple days passed and the fridge started getting warm again which lead me to believe I have a leak. So my questions are:
1. Is it okay to recharge the system with freon infused dye to help locate the leak?
2. Why is the freezer not cooling?

Any pointers will help. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
20"hg is not a leak. Sounds more like a restriction. Check the head pressure.

rmdaddy1

Premium Member
Rick, thanks for checking in on me. This is just to give a little more history. With only a piecing valve installed on the suction side of compressor, on my second go around, I decided to vacuum the system and add the system required amount of freon. Once again the fridge temperature cooled to set point 34deg.F. But the freezer only went down by a few degrees. From 71 to 68.

My wife started loosing patience with me (lol) so she called a technician. After examining the system, he said there is leak and that he would return to add a filter dryer with dye (like you indicated) plus fittings for high and low pressure readings.

I am still very puzzled though as I am not understanding why only the fridge's evaporator coils are getting cold, while the freezer's remains warm.

Is there a diverting valve in the plumbing that switches freon back and forth between evaporators?
What is the freon flow path?

rickgburton

Staff member
There's a 3-way valve. It has four positions but only uses three. A is open to the refrigerator evaporator and freezer evaporator in series so the refrigerant flows thru the fresh food evaporator and then into the freezer evaporator. B is open to the freezer evaporator only. C is not used. D is Closed to both fresh food and freezer evaporators during the off cycle