• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE fridge GFD28GSLBSS not cooling the top rack

omartian

Premium Member
Model Number
GFD28GSLBSS
Brand
GE
Hi guys-

I have a french door GE GFD28GSLBSS fridge that has not been cooling well for the last 2 days.

i noticed that the cheese drawer and lower racks were cooler towards the bottom of the fridge, but the top row was almost room temp.

I don't have anything blocking the temp sensor at the top of the fridge and the side ports are clear of obstruction. It's not overly dusty under the fridge but i cleaned it up. i can still hear the fan running and as of right now the freezer is working. Within the fridge, the top vent isn't blowing cool air, but the bottom one is.

In the back, there was a ton of dust. so i took a toothbrush and my shop vac and cleaned it out.

seen here before and after:
I noticed that the drain tube valve was a little gross so i took a pipe cleaner to it to make sure it was free of obstructions and left everything last night. I can also feel the compressor humming along as well.

When i checked today, it's still not cooling effectively. Have the temp set to 37 but it's definitely not there.

I took the fridge apart from the inside to look at the Evap tube and the trough drain and it was slightly frozen but the drain was open.

When i looked behind the fridge an hour later, i couldn't hear the fan, so i looked behind the fridge and noticed that the drain tube had water in it and was surrounded by some sitting water. i emptied the drain tube again and cleaned up the small amount of sitting water (not sure if this was from me trying to clear out the trough drain), and now the fan is back up.

I used turbo cool yesterday, but am afraid of doing it now due to it speeding up the condensation/icing.

any further suggestions or should i just call a repair guy?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On these models there have been issues with the FRESH FOOD FAN MOTOR not running, do you hear it running in the refrigerator(FRESH FOOD) section? That will cause it to be warm on top.

Here's the refrigerator(FRESH FOOD) evaporator fan motor for your model you can order IF its not running:
ge-fan-dc-ff-wr60x26866-ap6278228_01_m.jpg

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
would that cause some wetness in the machine component section on the back of the fridge. I see where it is here: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/st...nParts/GFD28GSLBSS/8/0/0/0/FRESH_FOOD_SECTION

looks like i was right there today. If i expose this area and plug the fridge in, it should fire up, right? Any way to test if it's functioning besides sound?

I do hear a fan, but think it's the fan next to the condensor at the bottom/rear of the fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The wetness in the back is from the defrost cycle, don't worry that dries up overtime.

I do hear a fan, but think it's the fan next to the condensor at the bottom/rear of the fridge.
Open the refrigerator door and listen for the fan motor running inside the refrigerator section.

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
It sounds like it's running in the main fridge. Kind of like a low hum. I think the freezer has a fan too but the noise didn't become noticeably louder when opening the freezer.

Forgot to mention this happened after a power outage on Monday.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should sound more like a blower fan sound than a hum.

It should sound like the freezer fan motor.

It would be a good idea to get access to it and see if its running or not just to be 100% sure.

Watch this video to get access to it:

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
Man, I was right there. Would disassembling the back wall but keeping the back fan plugged in cause it to fire. Does putting it on turbocool force it's operation. I'll try it and report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Post the serial number of your refrigerator and we can check, but I doubt it, that was many years ago.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Per your serial number your refrigerator was made in Nov. 2017. So no update needed.:)

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
So got the motor and haven't accessed back there but have noticed lower temps in the fridge over the last few days. We loaded it back up and I put a 6 point thermometer in the fridge.

I have the fridge set at 37. As I type this my temps w fridge closed are; 36,34, 32, 37, 37, 37.

There are times when I'll have a few temps that are above 40.

Not sure if this is how my fridge has always run, or if I'm now more aware of it due to the thermometers.

I'm wondering if the dust is the main issue. Also. Not sure why I'm getting cool air coming out of only the bottom of the 2 vents on the front of the left side wall in the fresh food area.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you install the new refrigerator(FRESH FOOD) evaporator fan motor yet?

I have the fridge set at 37. As I type this my temps w fridge closed are; 36,34, 32, 37, 37, 37.
Is the thermometer on top in the FRESH FOOD section with those temps?

I'm wondering if the dust is the main issue. Also. Not sure why I'm getting cool air coming out of only the bottom of the 2 vents on the front of the left side wall in the fresh food area.
The condenser being that dirty sure didn't help it, but should be fine now that its clean.

So you feel no cold air coming out the top vent in the FRESH FOOD section? If not, then that new refrigerator(FRESH FOOD) evaporator fan motor is not running or you'd feel cold air coming out the top. You see what I mean?

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
So just went back there and the evaporator fan is functioning. So didn't replace it.

No frost around the coils or bottom of the fridge.

Sometimes get temps as high as 46, but mostly it's sub 40 when set to 37.

You think it's working ok or do I need to tinker more.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the fan is running, then its fine.

I don't know what else could be the cause of this problem then. It should be cooling fine if that fan is running.

Put everything back in place and let it run for 24 hours and see how it does.

Jake

omartian

Premium Member
Been running for 36 hrs now and getting these temps.

Set at 37. Top left is 39, middle left is 34, low left is 36, top right is 41, middle right is 41 and bottom right is 45.

Not liking that bottom right temp. Is there another fan that circulates air through the fresh food area?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, there is a small fan, called the Pantry Fan in the styrofoam evaporator cover, but you can't order that fan motor separately, it only comes with the new evaporator cover assembly.

Here's the evaporator cover assembly for your model:
WR17X27084 Evap Cover Asm Ff

Jake