• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE front load washer WCVH6260F0WW stops during cycle

chrisw2099

Model Number
WCVH6260F0WW
Brand
GE
I've had a WCVH6260F0WW for over a year now with no problems.

Just this week I went to get a load out and it still showed twenty minutes left but it had stopped. I started it again, and the door locked, then unlocked, then locked again and started. I came back when it was done and there was standing water and the clothes were still soapy. Tried a few more loads on different cycles (whites, mixed, speed wash, etc...) and everytime it would do the lock unlock thing with the door at the beginning and then at some point in the cycle it would stop itself. I sat and watched the machine during a cycle and it seems capable of doing everything, at times I saw it agitate, spin, etc... but it won't finish a cycle.

Also during the cycle sometimes it is not doing anything for extended periods of time. It will say wash but it will just be sitting there quiet or I can hear a quiet noise coming from the machine but it is not doing anything. I tried unplugging it to maybe reset it but it did nothing. Is there a reset button on the machine? Also, I believe we had a power outage not too long prior to this problem. To make matters worse I can't find the owners manual now. I have someone scheduled to come out on thursday but I was hoping I might be able to fix it. I have no prior experience fixing a washer, but some limited mechanical repair experience. My neighbour is a professional electrician if it needs that. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

littlemamamichelle

Premium Member
My washer is doing the same thing...

I have a GE 6260 front loader as well and it is doing the exact same thing that you described. I have only had my washer since April and I am VERY frustrated! Were you able to get your washer fixed? Did you find out what was causing the problem? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

lckc72

GE 6260FWW not spinning towels enough.

We had the serviceman come today for our 6260 machine for the second time. It will not spin the clothes dry, mainly towels. Very frustrating to say the least. He keeps saying the pump has obstructions in the pump and filter. I talked with someone at work, they had a GE Profile model washer and he had a similar problem. He was informed by his serviceman to reset the CPU manually. To do that we unplugged the washer for at least two minutes, then plugged the power cord in with the washer off, opened the front door 5 times within 30 seconds, and then turned the power on. My wife ran another load of towels and the washer seemed to spin the water out fine. I don't know if it's fixed, time will tell.

littlemamamichelle

Premium Member
washer appears to be fixed...

Serviceman came to look at the washer. He showed me how to clean out the lint filter a previous poster talked about. After removing a massive amount of lint and a small fortune in change, the washer seems to be working fine. Why didn't GE mention how to/the need to clean out the lint filter? The owners manual is full of the other maintenance chores. At least now I know, and my washer works again.

dorothy1

GE Washer 6240 Model

We have had a top load GE washer since 1985 and it is still working great. Jan 12 of 2006 I purchased the FRONT LOAD model 6240. It worked for only 17 months. It will not drain or spin. I found your blog and after reading several I wish I had not purchased the unit. I have tried to find information on how to clean the filter that is mentioned but no luck. We have search the web for some sort of repair manual but again no luck. The company repair person's shop is well over 100 miles away so that cost would be out of the ball park. I call GE and was told it sounds like the motor might be going or something else. Really sounds promising. Can anyone give us some informaion on how to get a manual or instructions on cleaning out the "Lint" filter to see if can get back working. Both of us are retired and on a fixed income so we have to be careful with repairs.:)

littlemamamichelle

Premium Member
Cleaning a lint filter

I have the GE 6260--I am not sure if cleaning the filter is exactly the same for the 6240 or not, but here is how to clean the filter on the 6260. As a previous poster said, the filter is behind the front panel. This is the lower panel, just under the door. There are three screws on the bottom of this panel that you need to remove. Take the panel off. Inside you'll see a round white plastic thing. This is the filter cap. Be prepared to catch water. Have towels, a low pan, or a shop vac like the previous poster. Slowly turn the cap and water will start to run out. There may be a lot! Once all the water is out and the cap is unscrewed, you can pull out the filter. Dump all the junk out and replace it. My service man said he's found baby socks, jewelry, $55 in change, and all sorts of things. I got the impression that he gets to clean these filters out quite a bit. GE could solve this problem by simply putting filter cleaning instructions in the owner's manual and redesigning it to be more accessible. Anyway, cleaning the filter has solved my washer problem. Hope this helps.

Robert3578

Thanks

Hey.. Just wanted to thank you, littlemamamichelle, for the fix... cleaned out filter and got $2.65 (CDN) and 2 house keys... Thanks again, works great

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.:)

Jake

cdagal

Thank You, littlemamamichelle!

By following your simple instructions, we were able to clean out our filter and our washer is working perfectly now! Found $8.10 in change in the trap plus some odds and ends screws, nails, nuts, a panty liner, and lots of lint. Thanks!

I have the GE 6260--I am not sure if cleaning the filter is exactly the same for the 6240 or not, but here is how to clean the filter on the 6260. As a previous poster said, the filter is behind the front panel. This is the lower panel, just under the door. There are three screws on the bottom of this panel that you need to remove. Take the panel off. Inside you'll see a round white plastic thing. This is the filter cap. Be prepared to catch water. Have towels, a low pan, or a shop vac like the previous poster. Slowly turn the cap and water will start to run out. There may be a lot! Once all the water is out and the cap is unscrewed, you can pull out the filter. Dump all the junk out and replace it. My service man said he's found baby socks, jewelry, $55 in change, and all sorts of things. I got the impression that he gets to clean these filters out quite a bit. GE could solve this problem by simply putting filter cleaning instructions in the owner's manual and redesigning it to be more accessible. Anyway, cleaning the filter has solved my washer problem. Hope this helps.