• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE gas dryer hums but does not spin

curryc

Can anyone help me with a problem I am having with my 8 year old GE gas dryer. It hums as if it wants to start but it doesn't spin. When I take the clip out of the door and spin it manually it will continue to work on it's own without hesitation. I'm not sure what to replace.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the model number of your GE dryer first. The model number is located inside the door.

Usually when that happens that indicates your motor has gone bad.

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Hi there, very similar problem. It's almost 30 years old at this point, and the bearings/bushings/etc. have already been replaced once or twice, and it's an electric dryer, so maybe it's time to replace as soon as the economy settles back down.

GE dryer, model DDE7200RALWH

It happened once before a while ago, and happened again. I pulled the load of clothes out of the dryer from the last time it was used a few days ago, loaded it up with more clothes, and as soon as I rotate the timer nob to something other than one of the "off" positions, it hums, even if I haven't pressed the "Start" yet. If I bypass the safety by pressing the door latch plunger, and rotate the drum counter-clockwise, it starts right up. I let go of the plunger and quickly close the door, and it continued. It's almost as though the previous cycle didn't really truly exit the drying cycle.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Chris, like I mentioned in 2018 to @curryc it sounds like the motor is going bad, that is very common with this issue.

But I'd first unplug the dryer, then take the drum out of your dryer to get access to your motor, then check to see if you have lint build-up on the motor itself, because I have seen lint build-up on the motor and the motor can not breathe, thus the motor overheats and shuts down or will not start at all and just him.

Here's the motor for your model below and the video of how to access/replace the motor.

WE17X10010 Dryer Motor Kit

Let us know what you find.

Jake

TheKeeper

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply! Ok, sure, I've never disassembled that part of the dryer before, so it is possible that there's build-up. If there's not, the price for that part isn't too bad, thanks! It might be a little while before I can get to it, but I'll let you know how I make out.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Chris, definity check that first.

Let us know how it goes when you get to it, no hurry.:)

Jake