• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE Gas Oven - CGS986SEL2SS turning off during pre-heating, also fault code of F350

MWhaley

Model Number
CGS986SEL2SS
Brand
GE
Recently, our oven stated turning off during pre-heating. No errors or faults. The clock would still show current, but would shut down the heating cycle after several minutes. Broil would not ignite either. Top Burners would turn on as normal. Only the oven portion would not work properly. After reading several forums, I was about to order several parts for troubleshooting, that I more than likely would not be able to return after installation.

After a few hours of looking into forums for troubleshooting, and reading all that I could, I decided to finally connect to the wifi feature the GE Oven has. Took a couple of hours to figure it out, but finally got it connected. After connecting the Oven to Wifi, it then prompted an automatic software update to the Smart HQ App, and then the Oven itself updated software, via - Wifi and App. These two updates took about 45min.

After the two software updates, I then started the oven to see if there was any change. The oven started to pre-heat as normal, then after several minutes, it shut down again. But this time, there was a new chime alarm, and a fault code of F350. This was neat, because before, there was no error at all. The Software update included diagnostics to the Oven. I then downloaded the manual for the Oven that I found online, looked up the fault code, and found that the fault code had to deal with the cooling/exhaust fan.

Befofe I pulled the oven out, to start looking at what could cause the cooling/exhaust fan to give the F350 Error, I looked down the rear vent and the back of the oven from above, and found the fan, as shown in the manual. I noticed a piece of glass from a broken jar the was wedged into the fan, from when I broke a glass a couple of days before. This also could have been a piece of a potato, as the fan is not very strong, it just moves air.

I removed the obstruction that was keeping the fan from rotating, turned on the Oven, and all is good, and my Wife is Super Happy!

A bonus, after the software update, I noticed 5 or 6 new features for cooking styles, including an Air Fryer feature. We tried the Air Fryer feature that was not on there before the software update, and it worked really well, rather than just a bake feature. We can now, turn the Oven on from anywhere, by using the SmartHQ App. It's pretty neat.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Thanks for posting. Hopefully it will help others!

We can now, turn the Oven on from anywhere, by using the SmartHQ App. It's pretty neat.

That's kind of a useless feature if you ask me. Will it put dinner in the oven too? :rolleyes:

BTW Whirlpool had a range that also had a refrigeration unit built-in. You could put dinner in and it would cool it all day until time to start cooking, then start heating it.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the way to do it, good job.(y)

It seems I remember another person in our forum found something wedged in the fan motor causing this same F350 error code.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just found that thread:
I discovered the problem: a tortilla chip had fallen into the fan blades and was preventing it from turning. Chip removed and oven seems to be working just fine now.

Jake