• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE gas range JGSP42SET1SS no power

Jfmcm

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSP42SET1SS
Brand
GE
Help! GE gas range model JGSP42 no power. Outlet good, removed back cover but could not locate fuse [if it has one]. Tried different methods to reset keyboard [ie. held lock-out buttons for 3 sec., held broil hi/lo and bake button simultaneously but nothing resumed any power. Able to turn on gas and ignite with a lighter but no spark at burners. Any advise?
thanks in advance

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
JGSP42 is just a partial model number, we need the complete model number, read it from the model number tag on the machine, which is usually located on the bottom front leg frame after you pull out the bottom storage drawer.

So you plugged a hair dryer in that same outlet and the hair dryer worked?

Jake

Jfmcm

Premium Member
Full model number is JGSP42SET1SS
I did not plug hair drying in but checked the outlet with a tester. I ordered a 'Oven Control Board' and am hoping that that is the issue....
Any thoughts? Could it be something else?
John

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That would mean the spark module for the cooktop and main control board is bad at the same time! I would try what Jake said. Here is your wiring diagram for your model. From what you are saying this range is completely dead? What kind of tester did you use? You may have a open neutral somewhere!

Attachments

• 31-14857 GE JGSP42SET1SS Range Mini Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 69

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
bigbuck is right, with a hair dryer test it puts a load on the 120 volt outlet to see if you have GHOST VOLTAGE, if the hair dryer don't work, then you have a bad neutral in your power supply line to that outlet. I've seen this a couple times this year already in my local area.

Replacing the control board will not fix the surface burners like bigbuck mentioned, because the surface burners work per the spark module, which is separate from the control board.

Jake

Jfmcm

Premium Member
The outlet passed the hair dryer test. I was hoping that the oven control board would fix the whole unit. It is possible that it’s not that part and something else causing not power on the control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now lets check your power cord where it comes into the range, see if your getting 120 volts coming into the range, where it connects inside the range check for burnt connections too.

Here's the power cord for your model:
ge-range-cord-wb8k5039-ap2019687_01_l.jpg

Jake

Jfmcm

Premium Member
Update on my no power issue. I checked the power cord and it is passing 120v
I installed the new oven control board and still am not getting any power to control panel. What else might cause no power? Last time oven was used we ran the broiler. Would that heat sensor (if blown) cause the whole unit to loose power?
Any advice much appreciated

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram:

The oven sensor would not make it go dead.

Now on this model you have a clock oven control board that should have main going into it, look for L or L1 and N on the wire connectors on the clock oven control board and see if you have 120 volts going into the clock oven control board at L or L1 and N.

Other than that, you most likely have a broken power or neutral wire causing the range to be dead, check every inch of your range wiring for breaks/shorts in it.

Jake