• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GDF610PGJ5WW dishwasher won't start, just beeps

Robonater1293

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF610PGJ5WW
Brand
GE
My GE GDF610PGJ5WW dishwasher won't start when the button is pressed while the door is close. It started when I interrupted an ongoing cycle by opening the door. When I tried to restart or start a new cycle, it beeps as if the door is open. I unplugged power to unit overnight. I cleaned the ultra fine and fine filters, cleaned and dried out the float / sump area, and replaced the door latch sensor. I verified with DMM that the door latch sensor is showing closed on both pins of the 3-wire harness at the input to the control board (less than 1 ohms resistance), and that the voltage supply pin has 14 volts supplied. I am ready to replace the control board but I am worried that it is something simple that I am missing. Is it possible there is another faulty sensor input that is causing this behavior?

Robonater1293

Premium Member
Update: The dishwasher may be working now. I removed and inspected the existing control board. There was nothing visually wrong with it... it actually looks brand new, with no corrosion or heat discoloration and no swollen capacitors.

I decided to reassemble it and see if I could run some diagnostics I found in a service manual posted for a different unit (but seems to apply to my unit as well): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD/view . I assembled it enough to make all electrical and plumbing connections and plugged it in, and right away it started the pump/drain cycle. I was able to start a cycle, interrupt it, drain, and go back to standby.

I ran the diagnostic by entering Consumer Error Mode (make sure front panel lights are on by pressing a button, then press and hold the Cycle Select and Start buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds). I got all LEDs illuminated (door is latched) with 817 on the "Est. Time Left" display. It is unclear if the 817 means anything... I have seen it reported in several fault-related posts, but nothing correlates. After 10 seconds, all LEDs go off except for the "Lock Controls" LED. I think this means that there are no fault codes logged, since no other LEDs were lit / blinking when the Lock LED was lit, and there was nothing else on the display.

I ran a few partial cycles and it seems to be working, so I am going to finish reassembling it. Of course it started working AFTER we had already washed ALL the dirty dishes by hand, since I thought I was going to have to wait 3 days to get a new control board.

To God be the glory, great things He has done! Because I surely didn't do anything here to fix it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, if it keeps happening, that 817 usually means you have a leak, look here:

When you do NOT see a leak, replacing that control board alone fixing the problem, look here:

--->Here's the main control board for your model: WD21X24901 Machine Control

Here's the video that show you how to remove the cover to access/replace the main control board, and view the Service LED on it:

Jake

Robonater1293

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. That second link:
seems very similar to mine.

We have made it a week now and everything is still working. It got us through the Thanksgiving holiday and all of the dishes associated with extra house guests, so I am happy no matter what.

To summarize my experience - I did a few things to try to fix it, and God took care of everything else.
- GE GDF610PGJ5WW dishwasher would not start cycle; beeped as if door was open
- Did not know about the diagnostic tests at the time so did not run them to confirm door open
- Cleaned and dried sump area, left dishwasher unplugged overnight; still had issue.
- Replaced door latch sensor with new sensor; still had issue; I now believe that original sensor was fine.
- Verified wiring and contact closure from control-board side of wiring harness (used multimeter); all good
- Removed and visually inspected control board; no visible defects
- Reinstalled control board, reassembled dishwasher; appeared to no longer have door-open issue
- Ran diagnostics (Consumer Error Mode) and got all good indications except for 817 "error" code; Others have associated 817 with leak indication, but after reading all the entries on this and other sites that mentioned 817 and comparing with my experience, I suspect that 817 is either completely normal or just a generic "fault occurred in the past" indicator.
- Dishwasher is running normally.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ran diagnostics (Consumer Error Mode) and got all good indications except for 817 "error" code; Others have associated 817 with leak indication, but after reading all the entries on this and other sites that mentioned 817 and comparing with my experience, I suspect that 817 is either completely normal or just a generic "fault occurred in the past" indicator.
Yes, I had this happen at a customers house in my local area, its their winter house, when they leave for the summer and come back for the winter the first time they use their GE dishwasher it throws a similar error code, then all we do is reset the CSM, and they are good to go for the rest of the winter.

So lets see how long it will continue to work fine, if it starts throwing the 817 error code continually, then replacing the control board will fix it.

Jake