• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GDF620HMJ0ES Dishwasher no light on door panel and one blink LED

MaintenceGuy656

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ0ES
Brand
GE
I recently purchased an entire appliance set off of someone and before taking the appliances all them were ran and made sure they worked. The dishwasher ran fine, brought it home and placed in the garage while we finished the kitchen. After about a week I went to install the dishwasher. I plugged it and on the door panel it showed 220, but after about 15 minutes it changed to 110. I assumed it would be working, so the next day I loaded the dishwasher wanting to start a load. Closed the door and tried to pushing my cycle and start. The door showed no sign of life, no beeps or green lights or even the time display.

I checked to see if it was plugged in, then the breaker, then if the outlet worked. All of that was fine so I took the kick plate off and checked to see if it was hot at the main board, which it was hot. I then took my no touch electrical tester and followed all the visible wires and they were also all hot. The only wires I could not see were in the door. I then went to this forum site and tried to do everything and anything people were saying. I would unplug the machine and plug it back in to check the led on the main board, it would light up green for about a second and then turn off. After looking it up on the forum and manuals I came to the conclusion that there was no communication between the UI and the main board. So I took the door off and found two broken wires leading to the soap dispenser. I was relieved I had finally found the issue, ordered the new wiring harness. The harness came in, put the machine all back together only to find the same thing. No door lights and a green led for about a second on the main panel.

So today I come here with no idea what to do next, wondering if I need to replace UI or the main board. I feel as if I have tried every diagnostic route possible and have no clear answer. I don't have a multimeter test, could that be my missing diagnostic tool or does the single light for about a second tell me something else I've overlooked?

I would appreciate any help or theories I can get before I go and order a lot more parts and spend any unnecessary money. Thank you in advance!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

MaintenceGuy656

Premium Member
Sounds good. Keep us posted.
Alright, this is what I found. It has 122VAC to the main board and getting 14VAC to the UI board. I went and checked all the other plugs and the wires running to the pumps and was getting maybe 4VAC. I'm assuming that means its the main board but wanted to clarify before I order a new one.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, do this:

Unplug or remove power from the machine (important).

Access the main board under the machine.

Restore power and check the status LED. Is it off, on, or blinking a pattern?

D-GE control board status led.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member

MaintenceGuy656

Premium Member
It's not blinking, so I would call that steady off. This is from the tech sheet:
View attachment 54950

I'll ask Jake. He knows these machines.
I checked again and its getting full voltage to the main board, its getting appropriate voltage everywhere else besides to the sump/pump area. I plug in the machine and check the service led and it comes on for about a second then turns off. Both the new and old boards do this. Should the sump/pump wires be getting any voltage if its not in use or why would those not be getting any juice? Why is that area not listed in things to check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, you already replaced the machine control board under the dishwasher?

If so and its still doing the same thing you likely have another wire broken, check every inch of your wire harness on the entire dishwasher.

Jake

MaintenceGuy656

Premium Member
Yes I just replaced it this afternoon. I will search the wires again, is there any certain wires I need to be looking at more closely? I've looked over all the wiring, took it all apart again and everything looks good.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No certain wire, just check them all, if your not able to find it, you will need to contact GE to come out at 1-800-432-2737.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Rick!

Jake

MaintenceGuy656

Premium Member
Ok, so I've got some answers for you all. I was never able to figure it out completely but I am 90% sure it was the UI board: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

The reason I say that is because nobody had answers, even GE themselves, so I looked at buying a new one or used one off of Facebook. When I was searching I saw that someone was getting rid of the same exact model so I drove a couple hours and they gave the whole thing to me for free. I simply took the door off of that one and put it on mine, put the power to it and it works.

It currently is doing what i assume is an initial startup because the timer says 248 minutes and I cannot get that to change but it is making all sorts of different noises. If it goes down again I'll be sure to come right back here. Thank you all for your help.