• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GDF620HMJ0ES Heating Element not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBronski

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ0ES
Brand
GE
Hello All,
I am new to the form and I am looking for some help on my GE GDF620HMJ0ES dishwasher.
Here is the problem I am having - the heating element is not heating the water during the wash cycle.
I have replaced both the heating element and flood sensor (twice!!) and I still have no changes.
I put the dishwasher into diagnostic mode and when I run the heating element test it is not heating it up at all. I can hear the relay click when I start the test so I know the communication is there.
I checked the connections on the element and they are all secure
Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You also have a TCO(Thermal Cut Off) if that is bad it will not heat. You'd need a multimeter to ohm test for continuity. Make sure the breaker is OFF to the dishwasher first.

The TCO is located on the right side of the tub, approximately 16 inches from the front of the tub.
The TCO is held in place with two 1/4 in. hex head screws. The TCO is in a series circuit with the Calrod Heater.

Here's the TCO for your model: WD21X21690

The TCO only comes with a new wire harness:

See it in the photo above on the left side with the Violet wires going to it? And the metal mounting support brackets attached to it?

Its will show you a more detailed diagram of its location on page 67 here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its better to ohm test it first before you order it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes, then its bad.:)

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

JBronski

Premium Member
It is fixed! Swapping out the TCO fixed my issue. I did discover that you potentially do not need to replace the TCO at all. On the back of the sensor is a little black button. I pressed it back in an heard a little “click” noise. I then re-tested the continuity and it works fine! I have attached a picture showing where the button is located.
Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 8863C6BC-5330-47A1-80AB-93D3FA8BD7F4.jpeg
    8863C6BC-5330-47A1-80AB-93D3FA8BD7F4.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 84

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent(y). Yes some of these GE models has that reset button on them, but its still best to replace it and keep that old one as a spare.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.