• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GDF620HMJ2ES display and buttons not working

Jared9

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF620HMJ2ES
Brand
GE
Hello,

4 year old dishwasher. For the last few months it’s started to “wake up” and beep randomly. Over time, maybe week or so, it does it more often until it quits altogether. 12 or 20 minute reset of the breaker and it comes back to life. But still randomly wakes up until it quits again. I’ve searched all over here and found out a lot. My service led is blinking fast, probably 2 times a second. What should I look at replacing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You need the UI Board.

Here's the UI(user interface) Board for your model you can order: WD21X23462 Kit Svc Ui Top Logic

Another member had this exact same problem and the new UI Board fixed it:

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Jake,
Excellent. I have one ordered. Why I wasn’t convinced it was the UI was because everyone else’s status led seemed to be solid.

Thank you very much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Jared.

"NOTE--->When replacing UI Boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly"

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Jake,
Yes I saw the jumper piece you talked about before. What do you make of my status led light blink sequence?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nothing, because I had a customer with this same dishwasher and his was running great but no lights ever came on, and I knew that was the UI Board causing the problem, sure enough after I replaced his UI Board it fixed it.

Anytime you get odd behave with the UI Board but the dishwasher is still running fine, then your main control board is fine.

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Jake,
Sounds great. Thank you again for all the help. Just waiting on the UI to get here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jared, keep us posted.

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Jake,

trying to get ready for install. Part should be here in the next couple of days. What am I looking at as far as taking door off and swapping UIs??
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Watch this video:
On some models the hinges at the bottom are on the 'outside' of the outer door. On your door, they may be on the inside.

On some models there are 4 extra T25 screws that hold the door in on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the service manual instructions for your exact model:

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XTOXM0wA0UJEuucW0deIni17sMPtDGtD

Page 26 Door Removal
Page 28 Separate Door
Page 29 Front Control Console Removal
Page 30 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Okay cool. Watching the video from before, the guy just unhooks the door cables from the hinges. In that manual they have you insert an Allen key in a hole to lock the hinge. Leaving the hinge on the dishwasher versus on the door and just unscrewing them. Seems the video method is much quicker.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree!

Jake

Jared9

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

UI finally got here! Set the jumpers according to instructions.Used the video method and had the door off and separated in a matter of a few minutes. Swapped UI and right back together. Power on and everything looks to be working perfectly. Will run a cycle today and watch to make sure the UI doesn’t randomly turn on.
Thanks for all your help. Super easy fix!

Jared

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jared, glad to hear the new UI Board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect! Glad to hear that Jared!

Jake