• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GDF630PSM0SS Dishwasher All Lights Flashing

wgarrity

Premium Member
Model Number
GDF630PSM0SS
Brand
GE
Lately my GE Dishwasher will randomly during a load stop working and have all its lights flash repeatedly including the number display that flashes "888" on the screen. Most of the time resetting power to the dishwasher by turning off the breaker and turning it back on has fixed this issue and the dishwasher goes back to where it left off in the load. But lately it has taken multiple power resets at longer wait periods between turning it off and turning it back on to have the flashing lights go away and for the dishwasher going back to its load. This issue is similar to this thread from a few months ago but this dishwasher is not covered under warranty anymore. I have also attached a video of the dishwasher flashing as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the CSM trips, all the LED’s on the UI will flash. The consumer or technician may reset the CSM by turning power off to the dishwasher and then on.

CSM (Current Sense Module) Introduction: A CSM is a protective device that is located on the main control of GE Dishwashers. This device is designed to trip if current leakage to ground is above 20mA ± 5mA if detected. The CSM functions similar to commercially available GFCIs, if tripped the dishwasher will be non-responsive.
The CSM may be reset by the consumer by cycling the house electrical supply to the dishwasher.
NOTE: The dishwasher MUST be grounded and never operated without a ground connection.

Ok, let's get into Consumer Error Mode.

To Enter Consumer Error Mode: With the dishwasher in Standby Mode (not running a cycle), press and hold the Cycle Select and Start buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
On entry into the Consumer Error Mode, the
control reports the door status for 10 seconds.
--->All LEDs are solidly illuminated, if the door is detected as closed.
--->All LEDs are flashing, if door is detected as open.

After the door check, the control will enter a mode to display any error codes that are currently detected by the control.
LED-START
LED-HEATED DRY
LED-WASH BOOST
LED-CLEAN
LED-LOCK

If any of the above LEDs illuminate, it indicates the fault condition is present. These fault displays cannot be cleared manually; they will be automatically cleared by the control when the fault condition is no longer present.
Consumer Error Mode will time out after 5 minutes.
ANY KEY PRESSES OTHER THAN CYCLE SELECT EXIT THIS MODE

Entering Service Mode
NOTE: Entering Service Mode resets the CSM.
The dishwasher must be in Consumer Error Mode to enter Service Mode. Entering Service Mode will reset the CSM, allowing loads to be checked for the cause of the CSM to trip. The control will blink the Normal LED (light on model GDF510PxJxx) every few seconds for the number of times corresponding to the load being tested.

ServiceMode.jpg

Let us know what you find.

Jake

wgarrity

Premium Member
Thank you for getting back to me. I have done all of your suggestions and here are the results. When I was in Consumer Error Mode the LED-LOCK light was the only light illuminated after the door check. Going into service mode I ran tests 1 - 4 and test 4 tripped the CSM seconds after the test started. So this may suggest that this is a heater issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Remove the ground wire from where it comes in to the power supply and see if it goes through the Service Mode perfect and then start a cycle and see if it starts and runs all the way through.

Look at the photo below, see the green ground wire with the yellow wire nut on it, remove that wire nut and disconnect it. I had one do this a few months ago. The green ground wire from the customers house was showing .05 volts, that was enough to make the dishwasher keep tripping the CSM when the heater came on, and thus not run. I removed the green ground wire and it went through the Service Mode perfect and never tripped the CSM at the Heater test 4 and the heater was hot when I touched it.

I advised the customer to have a electrician come out to see why the green ground wire is getting .05 volts to it, when it should get .00 volts.

J722.jpeg

Let us know what happens.

Jake

wgarrity

Premium Member
Sorry about the late reply. Disconnecting the ground from the dishwasher doesn't cause the dishwasher to trip the CSM at all. When I put the ground back on to rerun the test it did test 4 without any problems but it then tripped shortly after during a load. I was not able to detect any voltage on the ground wire. Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, all I can think that would cause this is a circuit on the control board malfunctioning and causing the CSM to trip when the heating element kicks in.

The heating element is working fine when it doesn't trip, correct? Is the heating element getting hot when it does not trip?

Here's the control board for your model:

Jake

wgarrity

Premium Member
Hi Jake.
Sorry for the delay. I kept checking my ground in the house to verify that was not the issue. The CSM Started tripping with the house ground disconnected. i pulled out the unit to check for any signs if shorts. I am reading to ground on the heating element connectors. when I loosened the plastic nut on the element it was damp. I pulled the nut down out of the way and the ground cleared. The Plastic nut is wet and making a connection between the element connector and the ground tab on the element mounting point. it doesn't appear that anything holds the element in place as it pulled out with very little effort. What is supposed to hold the element in place other than the rubber seals in the tub? Nothing seems to tighten up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
2 nuts. LOL

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
(click to enlarge)
GDF630PSM0SS.jpg

This nut #104:

And this nut #105:

Also make sure you are not missing the grounding plate #106:

Jake