FIXED GE GDT550HSD0SS Will not fill

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT550HSD0SS
Brand
GE
Hi,

I have a GDT550HSD0SS dishwasher. I had a water valve go out about 8 months back. I replaced it and all went well for 3 months or so and the water stopped working again on the machine. I ordered another one replaced it and this did not solve the problem. I checked the float and that had a little bit of hard water but soaked it in some vinegar and that removed all the hardwater. Put it back in but the same problem. I have now replaced the main board with the latest board and have now done a self check. All things work except yes, number 2, still no water to the tub. Yes, the water is on, has good pressure and the water is going to the machine. It seems like the valve is still not working. What am I missing????

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, if the flood switch is bad, the dishwasher will not fill on these GE models. Do you know how to access it and ohm test it?

Here's the flood switch for this model:
WD21X10519 Switch Flood Asm

Jake

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I know how to access it and remove it. I don't know how to ohm test it. I couldn't find any info on the wire configuration to do so. Can you advise?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Check your flood switch resistance with a multimeter set on 20K ohms.
the resistance across pins 3 & 5 on the flood switch should be about 11K ohms at room temp, and 1,300 ohms at 175 degrees.
These 2 circled in red are pins 3 & 5:

InkedPhoto Jan 06, 1 30 30 PM_LI.jpg

Jake

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Hi,

It tested good at 11 k.

Question, I believe I need to do this,
Access main control, locate
connector J711, check resistance
from Harness pin 1 WR to pin 2 SX
32 Ohms?

and assume I need to plug the unit in to check this? Do I also run the cycle test to see if voltage is sent to the valve too?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do that test.

No, when ohm testing no power should be on to the dishwasher.

Do I also run the cycle test to see if voltage is sent to the valve too?
Yes,
If NO VOLTAGE, Access main control, locate connector J711, check resistance from Harness pin 1 WR to pin 2 SX 32 Ohms?

Jake

BrokenWash

Premium Member
I wanted to let you know, I did the test on the pins on the board. I didn't test the plug as there appeared to be no place to put the testing pins.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Access main control, locate connector J711, check resistance from Harness pin 1 WR to pin 2 SX

You get no ohms at all? Your meter does not change numbers? Do you have your meter set on the lowest ohms of resistance, like 200 ohms or less?

Rick made this diagram below to show you how to use a safety pin when your meter probes won't fit.

Safety pin.jpg

Last edited:

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Hi,
That was helpful thanks. I get no ohms at all. It stays flat. Started at 200 went down to 2. No change.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It says if it's not 32 ohms --->check your wiring, if your wiring is good replace the flood switch.:)

Jake

BrokenWash

Premium Member
But didn't the switch test good? I'll check the wiring but thinking that's not it. The flood switch, can it break and the ball still float inside? I ran the tests and the machine did pump water out during that cycle. Or is that not how it works. Sorry for all the dumb questions. Little to no knowledge on appliances. Thanks for the continued help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is your flood switch, trust me and bigbuck it will fix it.:)

Jake

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Hi,

Back again with another update. I replaced the flood switch. I ran the machine in test mode and it now fills with water. YAY! Now, a new problem. When the START button is pressed the unit beeps and does nothing. All cycles work in the test mode. I don't believe its in test mode still. What do I do now? Thanks for all the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new flood switch fixed the fill problem.:)

Now, a new problem. When the START button is pressed the unit beeps and does nothing.
Press the HEATED DRY and START buttons for 5 seconds.

Jake

BrokenWash

Premium Member
Hi,
I did that and now it plays 3 tones when I hit start. It's a little song almost. Still doesnt work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now its in Demo mode, I wanted to make sure it wasn't in Demo Mode, so to get it out of Demo Mode, Press the HEATED DRY and START buttons for 5 seconds.

Next See how many times your control board Service LED is flashing.

To view the Service LED, remove the lower access panel of your dishwasher.

Here's the video that shows you how to remove the cover to access the Service LED on it: Main control board access video

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board WD21X22276

Let us know.

Jake