• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GE GDT655SMJ0ES Dishwasher Issues Long cycle and NO green complete LED

tom_jeep

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SMJ0ES
Brand
GE
I am having issues with our dishwasher completing a cycle and very long run times. This dishwasher was installed in 2016 so it is 6 years old.
I just ran a short cycle (49min) after 30 minutes of running the dishwasher went from 20 minutes left to 50 minutes left to go. During the past few months the normal cycle (124 minutes) would take over 3 hours and then the green clean/complete LED would be off. About 1/2 half of the time there would still be soap in the dispenser and on the door, lack of water I think on this.

Last weekend I replaced the water solenoid valve and now if I run a cycle the soap is rinsed off but it still runs for over 3 hours (display shows 124 min) and complete LED is not green. The last time I ran it you could hear the water drain and fill, when the pump was working you can hear the water spraying inside the dishwasher which is all better. But after running the 3 plus hours it reset itself and started a NEW 124 minute run cycle all over again.

Here is what I have tested and results..
1) I have gone into the customer service mode. All light are on during the self test and only the Amber door led is after the self test 30 seconds.
2) Entered the service mode and ran through the tests
#1 Pump drain functioned good
#2 Water fill ran for about 20 seconds not a complete fill. I had to run this 3 times to get enough water for the pump test. Yes this is with the new valve installed
#3 Circulation pump runs fine (but only after I make sure the water is full
#4 Heater heats the water some but only runs for about 30 seconds in service mode.
#5 Detergent dispenser opens fine.
I can't find anything that tells me what test # 6 & #7 are doing

I checked the voltage going to the UI and it is 14.14 volts
All lights on the UI seem to working fine.
When they cycle finishes and green light is on we hear the completed chime, when it completes and NO green LED there is NO chime

On the main board the LED is blinking once every 3 seconds in standby mode, 3 times when the dishwasher is running. So everything test wise looks good but it is not working right at all

Here is where it is odd (maybe normal) during the wash cycle the LED will from 3 blinks to 2 blinks to solid on, to 1 blink and back to 3. Not in the order but it changes every few minutes I expected it to be 3 blinks during the whole wash cycle. Also during the wash cycle the relays are constantly clicking on and off every few minutes. During the cycle the Turbidity sensor lights up blue every few minutes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its sounds like a bad machine control board or bad or dirty turbidity sensor lens, because it should be filling for 1 minute and heating for 2 minutes in Service Mode.

Here's your service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-G9W3HiaYnihdB5Cy-jfSPoVf8DZ7j7/view?usp=sharing Page 44. There is no test #6 or #7 for your model.

--->Here's the machine control board for your model: WD21X24901 Machine Control

During the cycle the Turbidity sensor lights up blue every few minutes.
You can ohm test the Turbidity thermistor sensor as well:
The thermistor should measure about 10,450 ohms at room temperature of 75 degrees.
--->To check the thermistor, Disconnect power to the dishwasher, access the machine control board, check resistance on connector J711, pin 7, YR to pin 10, WG. The sensor may also be removed and the two outside terminals may be checked.

The thermistor is integrated in the Turbidity sensor:

Here's the video that shows you where its located and how to to remove it and replace it.

Jake

tom_jeep

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you for the reply.

I pulled out the Turbidity Sensor and it measured at 10,810 at 71 deg room temp.
It was covered in a layer of black stuff that came off like a very very thin piece of plastic. I am sure that is the reason for the very long run times as long as the above ohm reading is okay.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree.

Let us know how it does now that its clean.:)

Jake

tom_jeep

Premium Member
We have run 4 cycles through the dishwasher 2 test cycles empty and 2 full loads and everything is working well. The dishwasher runs for the same time as shown when we start the load within +/- 5 minutes. All of this started with the water valve that was going out, I believe it was not opening fully when energized. I took it apart when I removed it to see if it was plugged and it was not.

Jake, thank you again. I would have never know to check the turbidity sensor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Tom.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.