GE GDT655SMJ2ES Dishwasher barely starting wash cycle

Mitchmama

Premium Member
Model Number
GDT655SMJ2ES
Brand
GE
Please help. My GE GDT655SMJ2ES dishwasher is barely over 1 year old. Out of warranty. It has been filling with water and barely starting the wash cycle but stopping after a minute or so, it eventually sounds like it goes directly to the heat drying as I hear a fan going. It did warp a plastic lid on top rack. Have cut power to it and when I power it on again it begins draining from previous fill. Had a repairman out and he checked the filters and float and though the filter was just needing cleaning. It appeared to work when he left but when I had it filled with dirty dishes and ran it, it did the same thing, must have ran long enough to melt detergent pod and drain but there was white powdery detergent on bottom of dishwasher. When I tried to rerun it, it was back to starting wash cycle for like 1 minute and on to drying. Everything is lit like it should be. Ran the error modes like you mention in other posts. Everything looks good but haven’t checked light on main board under unit. Thinking it is one of the control boards either main board or top board under control buttons. What do you think?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check if the service LED is blinking a pattern. The service LED is on the main board.

Mitchmama

Premium Member
Check if the service LED is blinking a pattern. The service LED is on the main board.
The service light is blinking 1x per 3 seconds.
Then I started a cycle and it blinked 3x per second. The dishwasher sounded like it filled with some water and just paused out. After a while I opened the door and the service led blinked 4x per 3 seconds. It didn’t have any visible water sitting inside the dishwasher. When I closed the door it sounded like a fan started, I didn’t have heated dry turned on. I canceled the cycle and you could hear it draining water out and back to blinking 1x per 3 seconds.

rickgburton

Staff member
1x per 3 seconds= Unit is not running a cycle. Select a cycle and press Start.

4x per 3 seconds= Unit is paused. Close the door and press the start key to resume the cycle.

There is no 3x per 1 second but there is 4x per 1 second= Software error. Replace machine control board:

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, 3x per 3 seconds= Unit is in the process of running a cycle.
Mitchmama said:
Ran the error modes...
What error modes? No LEDs were lit? Door checked good?

Mitchmama

Premium Member
No, on the door nothing lit up during the check except the lock controls light which I guess should be lit because the door is open. So I am assuming the door checked good.
I also did a test with the latch and using some aluminum foil to make sure it is getting proper contact and that seemed fine.

rickgburton

Staff member
Mitchmama said:
.....except the lock controls light which I guess should be lit because the door is open.
That's wrong. You better read the test again.
Mitchmama said:
I also did a test with the latch and using some aluminum foil
Explain please. I've never heard of this test before.

Mitchmama

Premium Member
That's wrong. You better read the test again.

Explain please. I've never heard of this test before.
We retested and nothing showed up. A service repairman recommended taking a folded small piece of foil and place over door latch and close and run to check for faulty latch issues. I guess GE is notorious for door latch issues.
I think we have a GE lemon 🍋.
Do you have any other suggestions?

rickgburton

Staff member
The first guy said it was fixed and it's not you need to have him come back and fix it. I've never heard of any tin foil on a latch to make it work.