• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GFE28HSHFSS Fridge NOT making ice but water dispenses

woodcycl

Premium Member
Model Number
GFE28HSHFSS
Brand
GE
Just picked up a gently used GE GFE28HSHFSS Fridge for $500. Aesthetically it looks good. It has been on and cooling for 26 hours as of 8:30p 1/14/21. The issues I'm aware of so far:

1. Fresh food area (top) is set to 34 degrees (lowest setting) and a thermometer is showing about 42 to 44 degrees. I've tried turning on the Turbo cool mode twice without any luck.
  2. I have NO ICE being made. But, water does dispense in the front door. I confirmed the Ice maker in TOP is ON and has been for 26 hours. Bottom ICE was turned off, but I just turned it on as a test. Freezer is set to 0, but it is -20 per thermometer! There are no errors and no unexpected noise or humms of any kind. When I access the TOP ice area ... the area is super cold/freezing. I assume the installed OEM filter is fine since there is no indication it needs changed on led panel. Also, water dispenses very well.
Any thoughts on what could be the problem? Do the ICE production motors, water pumps, or whatever is used actually stop working possibly? I have the ability to return the fridge if there are any issues. It was only $500 and is in good aesthetic condition.

I appreciate any help. Many thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you hear the fan running in the Fresh Food section? If not, then its most likely the Fresh Food fan motor. There has been many members saying that fan motor NOT RUNNING is the cause for the warm temps in the refrig. section.

What is the serial number of your refrigerator?

If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factory service or a Software Update Module WR98R882802 for proper performance.

Here's the Fresh Food evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X26866

The ice maker can take up to 72 hours to start making ice.

Jake

woodcycl

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I don't believe we hear anything running when we open the fridge door.

We have decided to return the fridge and get our money back.

We ordered a new Whirlpool French Door for $1850 plus tax ($2199 regular price) and it will be delivered in two weeks. I just wish the Extended Warranties from Bix Box stores had better reviews. I figure I'll just take that $$ I would've spent on the warranty and put aside and use if necessary. Our 23yr old Whirlpool has NEVER had any issue and no repairs ... wish they still made them the way they did back then.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Choice!

Whirlpool is TOP NOTCH.:) That's what's in my kitchen, makes ice like there's no tomorrow, and here in the desert when its 100+ degrees daily in the summer, it doesn't miss a beat.:)

Jake