• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GE GFSF6PKBAWW refrigerator drain line(s) frozen

UsualNoise

Premium Member
Model Number
GFSF6PKBAWW
Brand
GE
Hi - I had posted some info in another thread but figured I should keep it separate. Please note the frozen rectangle in the plastic at the bottom of this picture:

2019-07-22 20.54.54.jpg

My question is if this is a separate drain line to the one in the metal just above it? I've cleared all the ice seen in the picture other than the drain lines at this point. I'm wondering if, when the repair guy replaced the fan last time, he neglected to clear the drain line(s) and it just happened again?

Also, I read you can test the fan with a 9 volt battery. Can you do that without cutting the wires? I'm guessing it's still in working order, but was just blocked with the ice.

UsualNoise

Premium Member
Here's another couple pictures to see the spots a little more close up. Both the circular drain and rectangular drain (if that is a drain) are frozen solid.

2019-07-23 19.40.34.jpg2019-07-23 19.40.06.jpg

UsualNoise

Premium Member
Yeah, after pouring a bunch of hot water in it I stopped and came to that same realization. Don't know where the water went though, but it did melt quite a bit of the ice. The styrofoam that is part of the panel I removed has a matching hole that (I think) goes up to the fan. So how bad is it to pour water down there? I didn't see any in the freezer.

UsualNoise

Premium Member
It's been about a year and 3 months since I cleared all the ice out and today I heard the dreaded clicking of the fan in the fridge (indicating the blades were starting to hit ice). I've started the process of defrosting the top section to remove the styrofoam cover (it's frozen to the back, again).

Is this a design flaw in the refrigerator? When I cleared it last time I made sure water was flowing all the way to the pan at the bottom in the back. Anyone know of anyway to prevent this or at least detect it earlier (before it fills up the top section)?